Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After Processor Upgrade, no display and POST on computer  (Read 3282 times)

indrolie

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    After Processor Upgrade, no display and POST on computer
    « on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
    Hi guys,

Good day.

I'm trying to upgrade my old computer processor, and I need some helps.
    I have searched and follow the instructions from some threads but I'm still stuck with the problem.

So, I have an old computer with Intel Pentium 4 631 3.0Ghz processor, and I changed the processor to Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 (it's not a new one). After changed, there is no display on the monitor (monitor went to sleep) when starting up the computer. The CPU fan is running though, and the power LED is on too. But I don't hear any sound indicating the computer passed the POST. By the way, when I removed the RAM, there is unlimited short beep from the computer.

This is my computer specs:
    Motherboard: ECS > P4M900T-M2 (V1.0)
    RAM: Kingston kvr800d2n6/2g (2 pieces)
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS (I tried to remove the card and use onboard VGA too, to make sure it's not GPU problem).
    PSU: Powerlogic Magnum Pro 275 (550w peak) (looks like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Powerlogic+Magnum+Pro+2...(550w+peak)&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1304&bih=671&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj28tmSz5vQAhVJvo8KHYCMBYwQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=kskZ-IPO74PmfM%3A)

Also, I have tried to:
    1. Make sure the motherboard can support the new processor.
    2. Update the BIOS to the latest version.
    3. Change the RAM to Kingston kvr667d2n5/1g. (only 1 piece of RAM)
    4. Reset the BIOS either with moving the jumper or remove the CMOS battery.
    5. Unplug the power cable and hold computer power button for 30 seconds.
    6. Checked the new processor (core 2 duo e6600), it is working in dell optiplex 780.

If I put back the old processor (Pentium 4 631), the computer is running well.
    I running out of idea. Is there anything I missed? Please help

Regards

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: After Processor Upgrade, no display and POST on computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
    ECS Boards are troublesome at times, they are the lowest of quality and highest of failure rates.

Is the BIOS version: 08/08/18?

I used this as reference to verifying supported processors:
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/P4M900T-M2(V1.0).html

Looking online I saw that your using DDR2-800Mhz sticks and the board supports DDR2-667Mhz. The DDR2-800 sticks are likely working underclocked with the Pentium 4 as limited by chipset.

**You might want to find a better brand/quality motherboard as for there are lots of issues with this board from reviews I have read such as no Dual-Channel Support and maximum RAM = 2GB will be a problem with newer OS's if you plan to game on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135043

indrolie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:45 PM »
      Hi,
      Thank you for your asnwer.

Yes, the BIOS version is 08/08/18.
      Do you have any recommendation for the motherboard in affordable prices?
      I need a motherboard that can support Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 will be better), with DDR2 RAM.
      I won't overclock the computer since I'm only using that for browsing, streaming and playing Dota 2 (not in high resolution).
      And I will use Sapphire R7 250 2GB as the GPU.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:32:01 AM »
      What do you have for a budget?

My thoughts are that if your budget would cover this, to get a refurb computer with Windows 7 complete with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad for around the $80 - $150 range.

Here is a solution for $82 (USD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883798580

Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66 GHz)
          2 GB DDR2 80 GB HDD
          Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit

It has a 1 year warranty and my thoughts on this build is you can bring it to 3GB RAM with a 2 x 2GB for 4GB *3GB usable under Windows 7 32-bit and clone this 80GB drive to a harder drive using Macrium Reflect for free to have more space with the hard drive you already own. *If you have Windows 7 OEM 64-bit installation disc, you could even use the key that comes with this computer and upgrade it to 64-bit and make full use of the 4GB RAM as I have seen some people do. Power supply you already own could be used if the power supply in this tower is too light for that video card as well as the inside of this tower should have plenty of room for that video card.

The Core 2 Duo E6700 is a decent Dual Core. I have a collection of Core 2 Duo's from E4300(1.8Ghz), E4500(2.2Ghz), E6600(2.4Ghz), E6700(2.66Ghz) and I have run the Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz as my wifes computer. She plays World of Warcraft and other games with no problems with that CPU, and this one is the slightly faster 2.66Ghz.

If you want to stick to just the motherboard vs a complete system, amazon or ebay is probably a place to look, however I would buy a motherboard that comes complete with RAM, CPU, Motherboard vs taking chances on just a board. I have had better luck with boards that come with CPU in them vs bare boards. Some problems you can run into with bare boards are that you look up the board and it shows that it supports the CPU you intend to install into it. You buy it and you go to use it, you install your CPU and go to boot it and it acts like its DOA. You troubleshoot and find out that the CPU is supported with a newer BIOS Flash, but unless you have an older slower CPU to use to get the board to function you cant flash it to bring it forward to support that better newer CPU. (*This is one reason why I hold onto older CPUs in case I need to bring a BIOS forward to support a better CPU install.) Additionally a board that is sold with the CPU in it and RAM if its a complete board purchase would be more guaranteed to work vs a bare board in which the seller could say you did something to kill the board and voided any warranty it may have had.

indrolie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:39:07 AM »
        Hi,

Around $80 will be fine.
        I will try to troubleshoot my old computer more before I purchase a new one, since it is just additional unit for use.

But thank you for your help Dave.
        I appreciate that.

Sincerely,
        Indro