Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop powers off during game. MB battery removal only way to get it on again.  (Read 2599 times)

Grawbad

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello all.  I have an issue that just started recently.
    This has only happened during playing a game.  The first game it happened on was Battlefield 1.  Now, I played in the beta and for a bit after launch and never had this issue then all of the sudden one day the laptop just powered off.  It would not turn back on until I cracked the back and pulled the motherboard battery out and put it back in.  About an hour later, same thing.  So I stopped playing Battlefield 1 thinking maybe a patch or driver was needed.

I played many other games after that with no trouble and then then over this past weekend while playing Overwatch the same thing happened again. 3 times in a row.   This time I let it sit overnight, and even then I could not turn it back on without removing the motherboard battery and putting it back in.

Doesn't seem like heat would be it because other games which are just as intensive don't do this.  Plus I have played these games without problems.  And in the case of Overwatch, since launch without problems.

The Laptop is:
    Toshiba Qosmio
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeFore GTX 770M

To be specific:

1: Playing game.
    2: Full power off (Only light from computer is the fact that it is plugged in light.)
    3: Computer will not power on.  (Doesn't matter if I wait 30 seconds or overnight, will not power on.)
    4: Remove the battery from the mother board.
    5: Put the battery back in the motherboard.
    6: Boots as normal (Prompted to enter a date and time first, then boots as normal.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Does computer run without the battery installed powered off the wall and then have no issues or same issues?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Don't rule out heat...where do you get your Temps from BTW ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Grawbad

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Does computer run without the battery installed powered off the wall and then have no issues or same issues?

Hey, are you asking about the Motherboard battery or the actual battery used to run the laptop when not plugged in. 
      Either way in both cases, I have not tried to run the Laptop without them installed.  Let me know which and I will try it.

@Patio   
      I installed CPUID HWMonitor after posting my initial post.   I have had no incidents since posting this though.  It is very sporadic.  However, I have been hesitant to push the thing since this started happening so maybe it is time I put it through its paces with the temp program running. 

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Hey, are you asking about the Motherboard battery or the actual battery used to run the laptop when not plugged in.
      Either way in both cases, I have not tried to run the Laptop without them installed.  Let me know which and I will try it.

The way the motherboard battery was described easily removed and for a laptop, my bad in thinking you were referring to the large lithium battery that can power the laptop. Most people dont go for the CMOS battery as for its usually buried well in the laptop.

Based on the fact that your system needs basically a BIOS reset by removal of CMOS battery as I am aware of now. What is the voltage of this CMOS battery. Maybe its borderline dead and causing issues, however most BIOS issues are detected at POST vs after an OS is up and running when there is a hand off of hardware to then the OS for the most part with exception to hardware RAID etc. Your battery should be a strong 3 Volts or more. You will need a digital multimeter or volt meter to test this.

Reason for running laptop without the large power battery in it is because I have seen some situations where a battery that is dying causes instability and shutdown even though its powered off outlet through power supply.