Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What PSU do you recommend?  (Read 2279 times)

Giovanni

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    What PSU do you recommend?
    « on: November 26, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »
    Howdy, folks!

This is the first time I'm building a computer. And I wanted to know what PSU you would recommend me. I will be using my computer about 8-16 hours a day and use a normal keyboard and mouse. I was recommended a Thermaltake TR2 500W before, but they're hard to find and I'm looking for alternatives in the same price range (50-75 euro)

I've got:
    CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper T2
    Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI
    RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 1x8GB 2400Mhz
    Storage - PNY CS1311 480GB
    Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 1060 6GB OC
    Case - Corsair SPEC-01

Thanks in advance!!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What PSU do you recommend?
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
    I prefer Corsair CX Bronze 80 power supplies. This might fall within your budget. Id personally go with a 600 watt PSU for that system even though the 500 watt is a match. The Video card specs call for 400 watt minimum according to newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125879

CaptainCourageous

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
      You can find out everything about PSU's at JohnnyGuru. I bought a brand that's also built by Seasonic, saving $, but you can't go wrong with specific reviews, learning about technologies used. There should be a 'tier' list helping you find best models in your price range. Very helpful b/c not every model by a brand is built by the manufacturer or source.

I think it's alright to name Johnny's even if I don't post a link  ::) They are the pros from Dover on Power Supplies.

Hope that helps,

CapCourageous

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »
      Look at the warranty.  It is impossible for a PSU to be better tan the warranty.  ::)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
      Look at the warranty.  It is impossible for a PSU to be better tan the warranty.

Only thing I have to say about this is that, how much would it matter if the hardware being powered fries, as for I have heard people make claims that some warranties only cover power supply replacement, but dont cover frying your brand new Core i7 and 1TB SSD with 64GB RAM and nVidia Titan X video cards for example which would be quite a serious loss of money. So is it really worth the gamble in cutting corners in one of the most critical components of a system build, upgrade, or repair.

I myself only use the free ( with computer case purchase) and low quality power supplies in systems that are worth less than $150, and only if I dont have a better power supply available and I am looking to save $50 etc. Low quality power supplies can over voltage or under voltage hardware. Over voltage fries stuff, under voltage causes instabilities and blue screens and lock ups and corruption of hard drives and SSDs.

Many of the better quality power supplies do have good warranties though as for the manufacturer has trust in their own quality that the power supplies should last longer than the warranty period. But basing a purchase on just the terms of a warranty is too dangerous. I wouldnt cut corners in quality on an important system component that can take the entire system out for a total loss.