Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I attempt a DIY battery pack?  (Read 2508 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Should I attempt a DIY battery pack?
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
I have some phones and tablets that do not have replaceable batters.
So I was thinking about a homemade external  battery pack.
Here are a couple of videos: (Skip the Ads.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouP9cvx3QcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8L6vKX0ho
But after watching, I am thinking maybe not.
So, my question is: "Have you ever made a cheap DIY battery pack for y our phone or tablet?  Did it work good? Was it hard to do?

I really want to know
:)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Should I attempt a DIY battery pack?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, I would steer well clear of mucking about with Lithium Ion batteries, if treated incorrectly they can be very dangerous.  If you need an external battery pack and the device can be powered from USB, just buy a premade USB power bank.

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Should I attempt a DIY battery pack?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
I have some phones and tablets that do not have replaceable batters.
So I was thinking about a homemade external  battery pack.

You would need to have the battery pack in constant connection with the device as the internal battery no longer takes a charge. Other issue you can run into is that the internal lithium battery when charged through the USB port can all of a sudden one day short and then next thing you know you have a lithium fire on your hands that can burn you or your house down. Other issue is depending on what is going on with the processing of the device if its updating or writing data and the USB power connection is interrupted it can corrupt the device and that could be the end of that device as for it can be bricked and turn into a paperweight.

When lithium batteries die its best to remove them from the equation. When they are part of a device that is non-serviceable, its best to send that device out if its even worthy of a replacement or if you know what your doing get the kit to open the device and then remove and replace the failed battery.

I have some android devices that I had crunching data for BOINC since they only draw like 4 watts each. However I shut them down when the one day i thought that the lithium battery in the tablet and phones constantly charging could lead to premature death of the batteries, additionally I dont need a lithium fire to take out my home. I tried removing the easily removable battery from the one phone and see if it will run off just USB power without battery, but there is code in BOINC for ARM processor devices that says unless the battery measures 90-100% full, do not crunch data. This is to prevent peoples phones from going dead within the first hour that they just charged them and only process after the battery is fully charged and the owner of the device hasnt gotten to it yet to take it away and use it. So without battery it measures 0% charge and so BOINC wont work. If the BOINC for arm was open source I would go in and alter this and bypass the battery check and then run the devices through a battery backup so they are safe from a power dip when writing data. These devices are designed to shut themselves down when battery is like 2% to gracefully shut down. Instant removal or interruption of power could brick them into a paperweight.

Does BOINC run on devices without batteries?

Not currently. It will soon.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Android_FAQ