Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GeForce GT730 & Linksys KVM - Screensize swells and goes off the screen  (Read 3077 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Recently I started using 2 computers at the same time and noticed that if I switch the KVM from PC1 to PC2 and back I have no problems. But if I switch from PC1 to PC2 and say I am at PC2 for 30 minutes and then I switch back to PC1 I come back to the screen swelled and the mouse pointer is able to go off the screen into where you cant see to select things. Screen resolution I am using is 1280 x 1024 and when I come back to my screen its changed itself to 1024x768 and sometimes 640x480. I looked into nVidia and Windows 7 64-bit display properties to try to figure out how to shut off this feature where it appears that after a period of time the it polls the hardware and then I guess the KVM syncs up with the GT 730 on a lower resolution.

However the weirdest part is that say it really went to 1024x768 or 640x480, my mouse pointer shouldnt be able to run off the side of the monitor into what is the difference of space between the area of 1280x1024 and either the 1024x768 or 640x480 to select [START] for example to reboot the computer which isnt in view when this happens. So the area for the mouse remains at 1280x1024 but what is sent to monitor is 1024x768 or 640x480.

This has been quite annoying and I dont think its a issue with Windows 7 64-bit unless that one slipped in through a security update. This build has had other video cards used in it. I originally had a Radeon  HD5450 but upgraded to a GeForce GT 730. I have updated the GT 730 drivers with latest and it still happens.

I went into power settings to see if there was any display sleep mode enabled to where maybe thats why after a period of time it will so this, but all sleep features are shut off.

I eliminated the Linksys KVM by using a belkin KVM that I had and it still has this issue. The only way to get rid of this issue is to have a monitor connected directly to the video card without a KVM. So this seems to be a hardware or driver issue between the GeForce GT 730 and use of KVM switches where if you are away too long from that systems video being passed to a physical display it has this screen swell condition where the viewed area is smaller than the area of the monitor.

I havent swapped out the monitor yet as for I have serious doubts that the monitor itself is the cause. If its the monitor then it should resync and mouse controls stick to the area that is displayed. Additionally Windows display properties shows that the resolution is changing on its own to 1024x768 or 640x480 from 1280x1024.

Google shows lots of complaints for similar issues but no root cause as a fix for this. When this happens I have to move my mouse off the screen to where the [START] is to click and then part of the shutdown control window shows for me to select restart. Upon restart everything is back to normal. But if I use the other computer for too long with this first computer idle, right back to the same problem. What really stinks is when it decides to drop down to a viewable area that is 640x480. When this happens I have to use the New Task RUN in task manager to run the shutdown command from the dos shell window that I get up. I really dont like pressing the power button and forcing Windows to shutdown that way.

Additionally I thought that I could get a screenshot of the issue showing the display swelled outside of the viewable area on the monitor and the Print Screen key captures the desktop as if there is no display problem and as if its 1280x1024 when only the central 1024x768 or 640x480 area of that is viewable as well as Windows display properties shows it being 1024x768 or 640x480 yet the Print Screen is able to get the full 1280x1024.  ::)

Connection type is VGA with the DVI and HDMI not in use on the GT 730. The GT 730 I am using is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125675

Starting to feel the urge to remove that GT 730 and put the GTX 260 into it, but trying to run this computer with lesser power consumption and dont want to yank that out of my 1 of 2  8-core systems. I have a FX8300 3.3Ghz with the GTX 260 in it and a FX8350 4.0Ghz with GTX 750 ti and I only use those systems when what i am doing requires that kind of processing power in which using more watts of power comes along with that need.  :-\

The 2 systems I am running right now with my KVM is the Sempron 3850 1.3Ghz Quadcore with Radeon HD 8280 with 2GB video memory which consumes 45 watts of power when run and the PC with the issue is the Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz Quadcore with GeForce GT 730 with 2GB video memory which runs at 120-160 watts when in use. My 8-core systems run at like 250-500 watts of power draw depending on what I am doing.

Since not sure if this is hardware or driver related I put it into hardware since its a hardware type of malfunction in relation to the KVM this video card and leaving the focus of the computer on the other computer too long to where there is a drop out of video somehow.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: GeForce GT730 & Linksys KVM - Screensize swells and goes off the screen
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Does it exhibit this behaviour if the KVM is out of the loop ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Does it exhibit this behaviour if the KVM is out of the loop ? ?

Connected directly to a monitor here is another thing to share and it might be related and might not be.  If the computer is left running with monitor on no problems at all. However if I have something running and I shut the monitor off for the night to reduce electric waste and turn monitor on the next morning the display is black and no signal. Computer running still and not crashed, but it doesnt reestablish the video signal to the display.

Additionally this GT 730 video card requires a display to be on and active at boot or else VGA wont function. Tested both with and without KVM, if I boot the computer up and its not the focus of the KVM or the monitor is off and I push the power button and take too long to turn the monitor on, the window of opportunity for the video card to detect which port is in use for video is gone. I then have to hold the power button in to force shutdown the computer and then turn it on again to have it see which port is active for display. I dont have a HDMI or DVI type of monitor to see if the video defaults to one of the other ports. I am still getting by with flat screen square 17" and 19" flat screens as for I dont like how the older games play on the wide screen displays so i like the square ratios so that I down have a short fat character running around or a car thats wide and lowrider.  ::) ;D

The Radeon HD5450 I had prior had no problems at all. So thats why I dont believe it has anything to do with Windows 7 64-bit and has all to do with this GT 730 somehow. I havent tested yet to see exactly how much time goes by before it decides to wig out when away from being the focus. But I suppose I could test at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 minute interval to see exactly how long it needs to be away when it has some sort of hardware poll in which it decides to change itself and act up.

GT 730 otherwise runs flawless, so anyone using it in a system that doesnt have idle time without dedicated video would probably never have this problem. Additionally maybe having it connected as dual-video out might fix this too. I do have 2 displays and could set that up as a test and have 1 of the 2 displays switched with the other active always to tickle the GT 730s hardware sense requirement.

But the difference between these 2 issues ( KVM vs Monitor Off but still connected physically) are that one makes the display disappear completely and the other a sizing issue when away.  :-\

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
Update on this:

Last night I tried in 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 minute then 1 hour increment to have the KVM switched to the other computer and then go back to see if the first computers display acted up and I couldnt get it to act up when I wanted to in order to then test again at the same interval to try to get more insight as to how long before it wigs out. Will update again if I have anything new to report on this issue.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
It's like tryin to get your car to make that noise when you take it to the shop...

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
It's like tryin to get your car to make that noise when you take it to the shop...

hehe very true... Its almost like its hiding from me like a gremlin inside though as for it was happening very frequently and then I go in to hunt it down and its now in hiding.  ;D   There should be something done in a specific order or length of time that will make it repeatable given the same conditions. I guess each time it happens now I will be writing down about how long I was away from it and what was running.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
As your mechanic i'm still gonna have to bill you for diagnosis....

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
As your mechanic i'm still gonna have to bill you for diagnosis....

;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
Monitors report their display information to the PC, max resolution, refresh rate, etc.

What it sounds like is the KVM isn't reporting the same information as the Monitor itself to the PC that isn't being passed through.

The delay/interval would likely be due to how frequently that information is being polled; or perhaps the KVM keeps reporting the same info to a PC when asked but has a "sleep" timeout where it makes the disconnected PC think the monitor is asleep, or maybe it disconnects it or does something weird.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »
For what it's worth ;D
You don't need a KMV thing anymore.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-you-no-longer-need-a-kvm-switch-for-your-multi-pc-setup/
In this article, I’m going to cover three of the best applications available that will let you use two computers with a single mouse and keyboard, without very much hassle at all. That requirement is important because it actually forced me to shy away from reviewing Synergy, after I spent nearly an hour trying to get it working on my two laptops without much luck at all. You’ll see how the programs I review below take under a couple of minutes to install, and barely five minutes to set up before you’re up and running.