Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard freezes during initial startup  (Read 6816 times)

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

Keyboard freezes during initial startup
    « on: March 23, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »
    I have a computer that disables most of the keyboard when the computer starts up.  I am able to push F1 to get into the BIOS but then the keyboard is totally disabled and I can't do anything or exit from the BIOS screen.  If I let it go through the loading process it comes up with the error "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt 'ntoskrnl.exe' . . ".  I can't fix this because it won't let me boot to CD.  I have tried a different hard drive but there is no difference.  The motherboard was replaced 9 months ago when it wouldn't start and the owner was advised this was the problem.  It has worked well since.  It is a Compaq Presario SR1960AN running Windows XP

therat83

Greenhorn

Re: Keyboard freezes during initial startup
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »
      well if i were u i would start looking for a new computer...even in the flea market. because number 1 compaq is one of the worst computer companies that was ever around. compaq gateway and acer are the three worst computer compainies. anyway if its not the motherboard then i cant imagine what it is because the motherboard basicly is the computer...besides the hard drive. i dont know what to do man but your better off with a different computer...hope this helps................

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
      Obviously you can ignore the above post. If you are using a usb keyboard, try a ps2 keyboard (and vice versa).

Did anything unusual happen since the last good boot (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

substrate001

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
        I agree with the above poster, on all issues mentioned. Please try a standard PS2 keyboard. If this works, you can enter your BIOS and make sure your settings have both legacy(1.1) and USB 2.0 enabled.  the range of "nt** missing, corrupted, etc errors are common in XP. A great set of articles and help is found on this very site at this URL:   

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Hope that helps you out.

BTW: I have an old Compaq that I use for a music server /storage in my home studio for rehearsing music and occasional dowloading. It works fantastic running  the fabulous and free Ubuntu 9.10. It's been up for almost two years (1st with Ubuntu 9.04, last 2 months with 9.10) and has never had a single boot problem. The machine itself is about 7 years old and was donated to me by a friend I built a gaming machine for. Just a thought.

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
          I have tried a PS2 keyboard as well as a USB keyboard.  Initially it was thought to be a virus because these problems started after his daughter loaded a game using a USB key.  The other hard drive I tried in the machine had Windows 98 on and it loaded as far as the Windows 98 splash screen then got stuck in an endless circle.

Pirate1207

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »
            If your suspect is the virus then try to slave your HDD with other machine a give it a scan of any antivirus your have.

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
              I had thought of doing that but was concerned that if it was a virus then it may infect the other computer that it is a slave on.  On a brighter note at least I would know what the problem was then!!?

Pirate1207

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:22:31 AM »
                Nop it will not infect the other machine. Just make sure that the anti virus of your other machine which you will connect the other hard disk as slave updated. after you connect the hdd don't open the hard disk. just directly go to the anti virus software you have and give it a scan. In that way, there is no possibility that the other machine will be infected with virus.

Allan

• Mastermind
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
                No need to slave anything. Just download a boot time av utility (Google), burn it to disc, and run it.

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
                  As for Compaq being really bad, I am using a 10 year old Compaq small form factor EVO with Firefox, Office 2000, and I use Advanced system care religiously. 

Nary an issue has presented itself.

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
                    The guy took the drive home and slaved it in another computer which found a virus he thinks was called "W32". He cleaned this off but when I put it back into the original computer it is still doing the same thing.  I can push F1 to get into the BIOS but then the keyboard stops working so I can't do anthing else.  This also stops me booting to a CD because you have to push a key to accept a CD boot.  The only thing I can think to do now is to get all the data they want off the drive, wipe it clean then, hopefully, when it finds a wiped drive it will automatically boot to CD without checking.  I have my doubts this will fix the problem though.   Does anyone have any alternate ideas?