Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost all info? "Unable to read boot sector" USB Flash Drive Problem.  (Read 21960 times)

DetMI

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

:'( 

Thanks for the opportunity with this website!  My computer recently had a problem and I had to remove my flash drive without the proper procedure.  I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP.

Problem:  I cannot open the flash drive-a message box pops up with a formatting request (I know not to do!).   The properties show the drive "F" is RAW and there are 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available.   I tried running the Recuva Deep Scan and it cannot read anything due to the message: Unable to read boot sector.  I have removed the flash drive before without following procedure and didn't have problems (due to computer issues).

Please help-I have over 5 years of business files, Quickbooks backups, all of my company logos, all personal files, everything on this flash drive.   Is there any hope, is it just damaged?  This is extremely stressful...I don't know what to do.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Lost all info? "Unable to read boot sector" USB Flash Drive Problem.
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »
    What kind of problem did your computer had when you removed your flashdrive that created this? It seems it has something to do with that. Flashdrives can only be damage either through virus infection or being careless with it.

DetMI

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
      My HP was having many problems at the time.  Specifically, the computer turned off while I was working on it.  The last time that happened, I turned it back on and it powered but the screen did not turn on nor did I have an opportunity to go back to the windows screen to properly remove the flash drive.  Also a series of "beeps" followed when I went to turn on the computer.  I removed the flash drive either when it was on in this mode or off-I can't remember and that's the last time I was able to access my files.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »
      ...I tried running the Recuva Deep Scan and it cannot read anything due to the message: Unable to read boot sector...
      Let's try this one:  EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition 5.0.1

DetMI

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
        Thanks for the assistance

I ran a scan and nothing came up...it shows 0 files available

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
        You have no backup for the files located on the flash drive?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
        Most of the time, free software will not help or solve your problem such as Data Recovery for your USB Flashdrive. As much as we want to save time and money. But as you browse to certain sites looking for solutions, you may end up finding yourself purchasing a software just to retrieve important files. It may hurt a little, but it hurts more if all your lost files are not saved. :o I truly hope you find a better free software on other links that will help you. :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
        Most of the time, free software will not help or solve your problem such as Data Recovery for your USB Flashdrive...
        Actually, most of the time it does work.  Not a lot of difference between the paid or free versions.  Paid versions usually provide some kind of help or support, free versions do not.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
        Agreed.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DetMI

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »
          Hello Everyone:

I tried the recommended free software and one that I used before to recover photos from a memory card and it is just not locating the files.  I am going to try using the Geek Squad at Best Buy tomorrow.

I am running out of options and really don't know where to turn now, very unfortunate...

I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions though!

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
          have you tried on a different computer??? Maybe it'll be able to read the file off the flash drive IF it really does exist???

DetMI

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
            Yea I tried on my wife's IBM ThinkPad this morning, no-go.

elensar87

• Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:47 AM »
              I had the same problem, but found the solution:

The boot sector is defect (Recuva: Unable to read boot sector), you have to format the USB disk, but be sure you do a quick format, so the first sector will be restored and the data will be preserved.
              Now you have (what Windows beleves) a clean disk, but Recuva (or other carving tools) can recover the data.  Good luck!

In my situation, all files has been recovered. The USB disk folder structure and some file names were not preserved.