Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Paint image too small  (Read 19960 times)

49 M

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Paint image too small
    « on: August 09, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »
    Microsoft Paint seems to work fine, but when i save an image to a folder it is too small to view. When I open the file in the folder it's still tiny & can't be enlarged enough to view. If i try to print or upload the image it's stays tiny. I can reopen paint, get the image & it will show up full size. What can I do to correct this?

I am using Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Paint image too small
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
    Microsoft Paint seems to work fine, but when i save an image to a folder it is too small to view. When I open the file in the folder it's still tiny & can't be enlarged enough to view. If i try to print or upload the image it's stays tiny. I can reopen paint, get the image & it will show up full size. What can I do to correct this?
    This really makes no sense.  If the image is, say, 800 x 600 pixels, then it will appear that size regardless of what software you use to view it, assuming that software does not automatically temporarily resize the image upon opening, which is unlikely, or perhaps actually display a thumbnail of it when you "open" the file?  Are absolutely sure you do not have two versions of these images saved in different folders?  When opening an image in software other than Paint, exactly what software is it?

I am using Windows Home Premium 64 bit.
    Windows Vista or Windows 7?

49 M

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »
      Windows 7. When I click on a file windows photo viewer opens it, but it's just a thumbnail. This isn't just one pic. Every image I try to save in paint comes out the same way. I can resize an image in paint but it won't save it that way either. While in paint the image will be full size but if I go to the top of the page and click on view - full screen - I get a full page with only a thumbnail pic just like the windows photo viewer shows. It makes no sense to me either.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »
      That doesn't mean that they're not being saved properly, only that you're viewer is opening them as thumbnails. Try a different viewer just to check (http://www.irfanview.com/)

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
      To see the size of an image/photo file in pixels and bytes, open Pictures or whatever folder in which they are located and hover your mouse over it to let Windows display a rectangular box showing these details.  That's what you actually have.

49 M

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
        Paint won't save or print anything properly. Paint views any image I import correctly in full size automaticly but it won't export it that way. Save, print, or full page view while in paint shows a thumbnail only. I don't see how I can go from a full page to a thumbnail by selecting full page view, but that's what it's doing. Evidently the full page view is what gets printed or saved.  I just printed an image that's 3708 X 4800 while in paint & all I got was a thumbnail.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
        Well, I'm abandoning ship on this one.  I'll leave it to Allan or whoever wants to try to make some sense of it.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
        paint.net is a full featured, top notch, free alternative to paint: http://paint.net/

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
        I'd suggest going to the virus and spyware sections of the forums and following the announcement "Read this before..." to rule out any malware problems.

49 M

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
          I finally figured out the paint problem so I thought I would post back just in case it comes up again. I have a 21 inch widescreen monitor that's causing the problem. It's probably an oversight, but I don't think paint was designed for a screen this big. If I have an image opened up & open it in paint it changes the paint screen size to what I have. This scrambles paint and causes the thumbnail exports. To get around this I reset the default size under properties & put any full size images into the clipboard only. The clipboard keeps the default size of the paint screen intact & everything works like it should. With the paint screen in default size the open tab in paint works properly with files that are not opened and showing full screen.