Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! RAW FILE SYSTEM ON USB DRIVE  (Read 19252 times)

skilled

HELP! RAW FILE SYSTEM ON USB DRIVE
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »
i use an alba usb mp3 player, i tried to format it, but it keeps on tellin me the file system is raw,then when i use the /Fs: switch, it displays "0mb,cannot caluate number of sectors". whn u click on the drive,it does not open ,u can't copy files or remove files?does anyone know d way around this?

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
Re: HELP! RAW FILE SYSTEM ON USB DRIVE
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:02 AM »

You need to repartition the USB drive. Use Disk Management to repartition it

I'm assuming you're using XP, as you didn't provide much info.
11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
You need to repartition the USB drive. Use Disk Management to repartition it

Flash drives, and any removable media drive, cannot be partitioned by windows, unless you manually flip a bit that says that the device is removable. (making it a "fixed" disk, as far as the computer is concerned.

In this case it doesn't matter, sounds like the flash memory has failed in a critical area preventing the drive from being formatted (which under normal circumstances is what would be required).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »

To BC, are you saying this would not work?

- Go to My Computer, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
- Go to Storage > Disk Managment group on the left, and then right click on your USB drive on the right.
- Then remove the RAW patition and then create a new one as FAT.

When my flash stick failed and went to RAW, these are the steps i followed to corect it. Don't know if an MP3 USB is different but i assume not.
11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
To BC, are you saying this would not work?
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying... or more precisely, I'm saying something like that wouldn't work under normal circumstances. I just tried with all of the flash drives I have available (6, with 5 different brands). Every single one of them has the "Delete Volume" option disabled on the right-click menu.

Don't know if an MP3 USB is different but i assume not.
Clearly there is something exceptional about your computers configuration or the flash drive you used, since not a single one of mine even has that option enabled. My MP3 player doesn't even show up as a drive, it's some weird esoteric thing (but not nearly as bad as the iPod, thankfully).

Fortunately, the limitation is purely "voluntary" in that the devices have a bit set to indicate they are removable; as long as that bit is set by the device, windows will treat it exactly as it would a floppy disk; (go ahead and try to partition a floppy disk, it's physically impossible). Of course, some flash drives will actually appear as two drives, often a CD-ROM drive to enable autoplay for the U3 management stuff) as well as the normal drive. In this case the drive is actually a composite device (as far as the computer is concerned) that exposes two devices.

Normally, a format would be all that is necessary when the file system reverts to RAW. On the other hand, however, through the 15 or so flash drives I've ever had, the only time I've ever had them get RAW filesystems was after it failed miserably. (I had one start being detected as a tablet soon afterwards) this is a direct result of corruption and failure of the various cells in the device itself; I can only imagine that this is the case here especially with regards to the mysterious "cannot determine number of sectors" error. Of course, assuming they somehow have this option to remove the partition they could try that and recreate it again. If the option is not available, the tool linked on this page may prove useful for toggling the bit as well as possibly as a method of formatting.

Another option would be to try it on another computer; I've seen this happen for all sorts of reasons, and sometimes it will mysteriously show up as RAW on one computer and properly on another (and no, the former PC was not a win9x machine trying to access an NTFS flash drive)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Here is a tool I used to fix my flash drive when this happened:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

It's very similar to what BC_Programmer posted, but I thought I would post it anyway.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »

I apologize if i've given false information, ignore my post, i'll have to amend my notes.  ???
11 cheers for binary !

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
It really is not false info...
I have had USB drives that i have been able to format/partition etc. without the steps BC laid out...
I have also had the same that needed to be treated the way he specified...

It is what it is...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »

WOW, thanks Patio, I've been documenting every problem and solution that my friends and I have had for about a year now and that was one of them. Thought i was going mad!
11 cheers for binary !