Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused about how to partitiion after an install of windows 7  (Read 2923 times)

ptreude

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
I installed windows 7 home premium 64bit (OEM) onto a new 2tb drive, but I didn't create a new partition during install.

I searched on google but to no avail.

How do I partition the drive so that I have one primary partition for the OS that is about 100 GB and the rest of the drive is an extended partition which I will partition into logical drives of various sizes to store data.

Windows disk management doesn't allow me to do the above. It seems to only shrink the drive into primary partitions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Confused about how to partitiion after an install of windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
I don't know much about Win7, but I was under the impression that it would grow & shrink partitions.  But I'll take you at your word.  This will surely work for you if Win7 won't:  http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

ptreude

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the link

What if I start over.  Am I able to erase the whole disk reformat it and re-install an oem version with no dificulties.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
1) You can manage partitions through Disk Management
2) You can use a 3rd party app such as (free) Easeus Partition Manager
3) Yes - if your start from scratch you'll be given the option to delete and create partitions as part of the install process.