Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Full C: drive, need to delete programs  (Read 3138 times)

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

Full C: drive, need to delete programs
    « on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »
    My computer information is:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    System Type   X86-based PC
    Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3000 MHz
    Total Physical Memory   2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory   1.04 GB

I have no idea, but I hope that is sufficient.

I have two hard drives, the first (a Hitachi) is divided into 3 logical drives of 10 gig, 25 gig and 42 gig, more or less, and the other is one 120 gig drive (no particular manufacturer, but the model # is ST3250310AS).  (This division wasn't due to any kind of sensible plan, just formatting on the fly.)  The 10 gig drive is my C: drive, and I'm waaaaayy out of space on it.  Only 50 or so MB of space left, not enough to take any of the advice that I saw in the forums for similarly positioned petitioners.  I run Cleanup every day (without compressing the drive) and when I"m asked if I want to delete programs, I really want to, but on the Add/Remove list that's in the Control Panel, I can't find where the programs are located.  No point deleting programs that are on the E:, F:, or G: drives.

At first, I thought I might try a clean install of the OS, but mousing around in the forums here, I only found references to doing that in response to error messages or problems that are happening, but I have no problems, the system runs just fine.  Just I have that "you're out of space" reminder popping up all the time.  I guess my question is this:  is there a way to find out exactly where each program is located?  and also, does anyone have a suggestion, besides the obvious "don't use the smallest drive as your C:"?

Really appreciate your time and thought.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Full C: drive, need to delete programs
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »
    Uninstalling programs isn't going to help that much. 10Gb for the system partition simply isn't large enough. First, try disabling system restore. That should IMMEDIATELY free up a great deal of space (of course, all restore points will be deleted - I suggest you start using disk imaging software to backup your drive on a regular basis). You can also use an app such as Easeus Partition Manager to reallocate the space in your partitions and increase the size of c: drive (be sure to backup any key data before using any software that performs tasks at drive level).

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:22:59 AM »
      Hey, there, thanks for the extremely quick response!

Can't find system restore.  I tried to use it earlier, but it said it didn't have enough room to work, and now it's gone from the list.

As for the Easeus, I've downloaded it.  Doesn't moving a partition destroy the data on that partition?  Thanks for the pointer in that direction.

Oh, and I'm backing up using a Maxtor external hard drive, but I'm very inexperienced with it.  Will that be sufficient, or do I need to get disk imaging?
      « Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:48:07 AM by mizhepzibah »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »
      Control Panel - System Properties - System Restore

OR

Open Windows Explorer, Right-click on c: drive and choose Properties. Then click on Disk Cleanup and then the More Options Tab and the System Restore item at the bottom.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:40 AM »
        I note that according to your specs you have SP 2 on your computer. You should update that to SP 3 in order to continue getting MS XP updates. Versions prior to SP 3 are no longer supported. truenorth
        P.S. Would recommend you follow Allan's  reallocation of your hdd BEFORE the SP 3 update as it is a very large file.

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51:28 AM »
          Wow, y'all are quick!

Easeus downloaded.  Thanks very much for the advice, will be back with results shortly.

shashgo

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:59:49 AM »
            You want to delete programs on your C: drive because youre running out of space on it right? 

Click on starts->Programs and see whether the program also has an associated  uninstall utility.  If it does then click on that uninstall utility. 

If there is no uninstall utility  for that program , then to find the location, right click on each program name, as if you were going to start the program.  Click properties, and you'll see the location of the program.  Then with that knowledge, go find the program under add/remove and uninstall it from there

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:02:16 AM »
            You want to delete programs on your C: drive because youre running out of space on it right? 

Click on starts->Programs and see whether the program also has an associated  uninstall utility.  If it does then click on that uninstall utility. 

If there is no uninstall utility  for that program , then to find the location, right click on each program name, as if you were going to start the program.  Click properties, and you'll see the location of the program.  Then with that knowledge, go find the program under add/remove and uninstall it from there
            As I said earlier, uninstalling programs will not free up much space.

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
              Great advice!!  Fantastic answer!  The partition adjustment worked like gangbusters, and I swear my computer hove a huge sigh of relief on the restart.

Thanks again for the access to your magnificent brains!

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
              Glad to help.

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
                Genius.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »
                We just happen to know a little more about computers than you do, that's all. But thanks for stopping by and be sure to tell your friends about us :)

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
                  Certainly will do.  In fact, have already.

Thanks again. ;D