Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System thinks CTRL key is pressed when it isn't  (Read 5122 times)

starfishtwo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    System thinks CTRL key is pressed when it isn't
    « on: November 02, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
    Just bought a new Lenovo G770 5 days ago.  Running Win7 64bit.  The system repeatedly thinks the CTRL key is being pressed when it isn't.  In the middle of typing a sentence, suddenly every letter I type performs the associated ctrl key action.  The only remedy is a complete reboot (and loss of data in the process).  I have googled this problem and it seems pretty common, but all I've found are a lot of suggestions (some of them too technical) and no clear solutions.  Some of the non-useful suggestions I've gotten already:

"Wedge the CTRL key up" ~ it is not physically stuck; I have not even touched the key when this happens.  If the key were simply physically stuck, a reboot would not solve the problem.

"Clean your keyboard" ~ the keyboard is not dirty; it's 5 days old.

"Press some combination of keys, e.g. ctrl-alt-alt-ctrl-shift" ~ even if this were to work, I'm unwilling to have to do this every 15 minutes for the entire life of my laptop.

"Download new drivers from your vendor" ~ the Lenovo website is so confusing, I cannot tell what, if any, drivers I should download.

"It's a USB/mouse issue" ~ I am using an external mouse rather than the touchpad, but this has only happened while I was in the middle of typing, not using the mouse.  One thing that did ring bells with this suggestion:  Several times when this ctrl key thing happened, a few moments before, the screen had suddenly jumped down to the bottom of the page, leading me to believe I had touched the touchpad with my palm.  Soon after, the ctrl key seemed stuck.

Also, I do not have sticky keys enabled.

I have been struggling with this for 2 days now, and it renders the laptop virtually unusable for my purposes.  I'm hoping someone here can solve this problem for me, because I really don't want to have to return this computer.

nixie

Beginner

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: System thinks CTRL key is pressed when it isn't
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
    I had a similar issue with a Toshiba a few years ago and it was a keyboard malfunction even though the key wasn't physically pressed down and felt fine when pressing down etc. I was able to work out a deal since I had corporate relations with them with the business I worked for with MIS that I was able to get them to send me a 2nd laptop by having them charge our account, and then credit our account after the 1st trouble computer was sent back defective under warranty. The key that was acting up on this laptop was one of the shift keys, so the user would be typing and everything would go caps, and then they could cancel this out by pressing caps lock on to uncaps..lol... quite the mess.. but worked until the replacement arrived in 3 days.

starfishtwo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »
      In googling this problem I've found tons of people with the same problem and most report that trying a different keyboard does not help the problem.  Most reports seem to indicate that it is a software issue rather than a hardware one.  I'm shocked at how many people have had this problem ~ I have found pleas for help on forum posts dating back to 2006 ~ and there does not seem to be one single solution given.  As many people have had this problem, I would think that someone would have solved it by now. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
      I would return the machine under warranty...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
      I've had that problem too, with the CTRL and the ALT keys. One solution that tends to work for me is to push the RIGHT control/alt (depending on the problem) button a few times.
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
      I would return the machine under warranty...

This. You bought it five days ago. Clearly it isn't working properly.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.