Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving microsoft office to new computer  (Read 29961 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Moving microsoft office to new computer
    « on: March 03, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »
    This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but please bear in mind I'm a bit of a novice computer wise.
    We currently have a laptop but are getting a newer one. We might get a notebook, we're not totally sure yet. But how do we get our Microsft Office software onto the new computer/notepad as we can't find the discs (plus a notepad doesn't have a disc drive just usb's), and don't know if we have the activation key?

Raptor

Re: Moving microsoft office to new computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »
    LibreOffice is a good alternative: https://www.libreoffice.org/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
    The short answer is probably going to be "you can't".

The longer answer is that:

Microsoft Office is made so that you have to install it from disc. Computer makers often create a disk image for each model that they sell, containing the appropriate version of Windows, complete with any preloaded software sold as part of the deal, which they clone onto each new computer at the end of the assembly process. Recovery discs are included which can bring the machine back to as-sold condition. These can be purchased in the event of loss. They are not suitable for use on other machines, both for technical and legal reasons, as you will gather below.

If Microsoft Office was pre-loaded on the older machine in this way then there is no way that is is technically possible to transfer that installation to another machine.  Nor would it be legal (in terms of the licensing status of the Office installation) to do so, even if you could physically do it, which you can't.

If the MS Office package was supplied on disk with the older machine as an OEM version intended for use on that machine, then it is tied to that machine, and in fact may have a modified installation routine which will check for qualifying hardware (the machine that it is tied to). Even if it did not, it would be a violation of the Microsoft EULA (End User License Agreement) to perform such an installation, and quite possibly a subsequent Windows or MS Office update would invalidate the installation, preventing its further use.

If the MS Office package came as a "full retail" disc, then its licence would allow installation on one fixed (desktop) and one portable (laptop, notebook, netbook, etc) computer only, provided that the portable device is only used by the primary owner of the fixed one. You cannot install MS Office on two portable computers under one licence. To comply with the licence, you would have to uninstall the first portable installation of Office before proceeding with the second.

In any case, you do not have either disks or activation code. Your only legal (and technically feasible) solution will be to either purchase a new machine which has its own MS Office (preloaded or accompanying) or to pony up for a full retail MS Office install package.

Note: in UK English spelling, 'license' is the verb, and 'licence' the noun. In US spelling, it's 'license' for both.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »
    a notepad doesn't have a disc drive just usb's

People use different, often overlapping names for the different types of portable computers but generally you have (from biggest to smallest) laptops, notebooks and netbooks. These have keyboards, and you also have 'notepads' or 'tablets' - pocket-sized computers that have an onscreen keyboard and/or a stylus. Some smaller portable computers don't have built in optical (CD/DVD) drives but if there is a USB socket you can plug in an external USB drive. There are many that cost from ten to thirty US dollars or local equivalent. Here is a picture of one.

If you have a valid product key you can download MS Office from Microsoft onto a netbook or other machine without a CD/DVD drive.

Install Office products on your netbook or notebook http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/netbook-FX101850729.aspx

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:04:28 AM by Salmon Trout »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
      In the event that you need an office suite on your "new" computer and you do not wish to purchase another issue of Microsoft office another alternative to Raptor's suggestion is "Open Office'
      http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
      Most of it's functions are compatible with Microsoft Office software. truenorth

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:24:15 AM »
        I can't remember if our current laptop came with Office on disc or not, as it's been a few years since we bought it. I assumed we were allowed to put it on at least one other computer for personal use, but didn't know it couldn't be on two portable ones. News to me! I know there are many alternatives to Office (some of which are free) but Office is what I'm familiar with, so for the sake of speed (and my own laziness!) that's what I'm after. From what you guys have said it sounds as if buying a version of office along with the new newpad (or whatever we decide) would be the easiest option. Thanks for your info guys!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
        I assumed we were allowed to put it on at least one other computer for personal use, but didn't know it couldn't be on two portable ones. News to me!

Most retail versions of Office allow a single user to install a second copy on a laptop, tablet computer or other portable machine. The second installation is intended to be used by the primary user while travelling, at home or at a satellite office. The terms of the licence make it clear that only the primary user can run the software, and Office itself enforces that requirement. If a second user opens an Office product on your portable machine, it connects to the Internet to check if another licensed copy is running. (This catches out users of pirated product keys) (The EULA says "BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSMISSION OF THIS INFORMATION." in capital letters) If it detects the license code is in use, the application will politely inform the second user and quit. Legitimate use on two machines simultaneously (comparing two versions of a spreadsheet, for example) isn't prohibited by the license, though you will need to turn off network connections on the second computer.

The exception among retail editions is for software marked “Home and Student” edition, where you may install one copy of the software on up to three licensed devices in your household for use by people for whom that is their primary residence.

According to the Microsoft Office EULA, which you can download from the Microsoft Software License Terms (MSLT) for Microsoft Office 2010 page, you can clearly read that you can legally install single-pack Microsoft Office on two computers.

The same applies to earlier versions of Office.

According to sub section c "Portable Device", of section 2 "Instalation and Use Rights": "You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device”

This was confirmed by a reply tweet on Twitter by Microsoft Australia.

This applies to all Microsoft Office products. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Outlook Social Connector, Publisher , Access, InfoPath, SharePoint Workspace, Project Standard, Visio Premium, Visio Professional, Project Professional, and the Home and Student versions of the following: Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Word.

There are however a few caveats:

You have to have bought a legal copy of Microsoft Office, and be the legal user of the license.

You have to be the only user of the license.

You can install Microsoft Office on a desktop and a portable device such as a laptop or notepad. The license terms do not seem to allow you to install on two desktops or two laptops for example.

Both computers, desktop and portable, need to be owned by you. In other words, you cannot install Microsoft office on your laptop and on your friends or families desktop.

The license only applies to Microsoft retail products and not OEM products.

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Maybe now you can see another reason why people turn to open source alternatives?
        « Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:54:41 AM by Salmon Trout »

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:12:47 AM »
          Thanks for the info guys. We bought a notebook, which has Wordpad on it. However, we decided against Microsoft Office, as it just seemed like too much hassle. We are probably going to go with Open Office. How compatible is it with Microsoft Office Word for moving documents back and forth?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:13 AM »
          There might be a deviation in the mark-up if you create a document in Word and then open it in Writer... I've never had any problems importing Excel files into Calc.

I'd recommend LibreOffice, by the way. http://www.unixmen.com/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:47:06 AM »
          but Office is what I'm familiar with, so for the sake of speed (and my own laziness!) that's what I'm after.
          It's your choice but you don't need an external USB CD/DVD drive to install Microsoft Office.  Beginning with Office 2007, Microsoft began allowing distribution of the software to buyers via download.  Prior to Office 2007, MS Office was only distributed on disc.