Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Abit AS8 (Motherboard) Error Codes  (Read 6744 times)

kerton25

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Abit AS8 (Motherboard) Error Codes
    « on: April 14, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been given an Abit AS8 motherboard along with 4 sticks of 512 RAM and an Intel P4 3.6 Processor,
    It was a working board when the guy updated his PC and I got it 3 days later, I've kept the Original P4 in it, I've kept the original 4 sticks of 512 RAM in it, the only things I've put in it is my Western Digital Hard Drive, my DVD re-writer, a USB1 PCI Card, a USB2 PCI card, and a Geforce 6600 AGP graphics Card.
    When trying to start I'm getting a number sequence on the LCD which goes 83, 96, 9E, 9F then it stops and just leaves 9F on the display.
    I'm not getting any Video output through the Card to be able to get to BIOS or anything, No beeps from the board either, I've tried putting in a differnt (older) AGP graphics card and still the same, I've tried a different Hard Drive, I've tried switching the Jumper over for the CMOS to clear that and still the same.
    I read on a different site that it could be my PSU not powerful enough so I've bought a 750w PSU which outputs 32 Amps on both +12V rails and still no difference.
    Can anyone help me as to what the problem is????
    Many Thanks,
    Richard.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Abit AS8 (Motherboard) Error Codes
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
    Are BOTH power cables plugged into the mobo? If so, then try clearing the CMOS. You can do this by switching the jumper or just taking the battery out and unplug it for three minutes.

Some info on this forum: http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-hexus/31978-av8-wont-boot-9-f-error-code.html
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

kerton25

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Abit AS8 (Motherboard) Error Codes
      « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:53 AM »
      Thanks for your reply,
      I can confirm both the 20 pin power cable and the 4 pin P4 cable are plugged in.
      I've tried resetting the CMOS but I'm not sure if I've been doing it right.
      I've been switching everything off, moving the jumper, leaving for about 1 min, then putting the jumper back and powering on again.
      Is this the correct way or am I missing something??
      One of the screw holes are half covered by the ide port for the hard drive, so I can't get to it, so I've left this without a screw in it, I did however put a plastic spacer underneath it to make sure it didn't touch the case, would this cause a problem??
      I'm getting really annoyed with this mobo now.
      Many thanks,
      Richard.