Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Forgive me I'm not 100% sure this is th right place to post  (Read 14705 times)

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Forgive me I'm not 100% sure this is th right place to post
    « on: August 13, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
    Okay I'm fairly good with computers but I don't know where to go on this one.
    My mom recently got a total re-haul on her computer. Upgraded a bunch of things and put windows 7 on it. Now she kept having problems, if it was left on over night the key board and mouse would stop working and sometimes a bios error would show up.

She bought a new computer and gave me this one if I could fix it.

Now I've had it plugged in and turned on for the last 2 days no problems with it all day yesterday but I left it up over night to see if i could begin to find the problem.

When I got up it wouldn't come out of sleep by moving the mouse or typing on the key board (it's a desktop) so i quick hit the power  button and all screens were running normally for about 5 min then the key board and mouse stopped work and the computer seized up.

Unable to properly shut it down I had to hold down the power button to turn it off. When turned back on was prompted for safe mode or normal windows restart, however the keyboard was still not working to allow me to select a choice. I turned of the computer and turned it back on, same problem. Turned it off un-plugged it and plugged it back in and wham bam thank you ma'am everything worked again, but no sign of the elusive bios error my mom told me about.

So here's my question, where do I start looking for the problem?

And I am sorry this is so little information, I know it's not much to go on and there are probably about 50 billion things that this could be I just need a starting point. A place to go to find the first step.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:37:22 AM by Kiti »
    Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth.

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Forgive me I'm not 100% sure this is th right place to post
      « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
      New information, was going to go look up some of the specs on the computer to get more detailed information and wasunable to bring the computer out of sleep mode.

When I turned it off and back on a new screen appeared stating the following.

Choose and operating system to start or press tab to select a tool:
      (use arrow keys to highlight your choice then press enter)

Windows 7

To specify an advanced option for this choice press F8

Tools:
      Windows Memory Diagnostic

At this point the keyboard was frozen and when I turned it back on it returned to the safe mode prompt page but the key board was still not working so i was forced to unplug it again.
      Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
      Title of the Month Finalist...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
      Have you tried another keyboard?

Are the date and time right in BIOS?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
      Good evening Kiti and welcome to CH

OK from what I am able to interpret the PC is a desktop and now has windows 7 am I safe to assume that it maybe had XP? but to help you any further we would need some more info because what is in the post is not enough.

The PC can be freezing from many different reasons this can be a hardware issue or software issue.
      #1... What version of windows 7 32 or 64 bit?
      #2... If the desktop was overhauled what is the motherboard model most after market MoBo's will have the numbers silk screened around the CPU or the PCI slots (i.e ms-7301 or 845PERL etc)
      #3... What model is / was the desktop (i.e Dell C521 or was it always a custom built PC)
      #4... If the whole PC was redone inside do you or what errors have you gotten or BSOD (blue screens of death)
      #5... Is the keyboard and mouse original / old ones before the PC was redone. If the keyboard is freezing did you try another keyboard I have seen a mouse or keyboard make a PC freeze.

So if at all possible please let us know what parts were replaced.
      Motherboard, Memory (how much was installed), Hard Drive, CD Drive, CPU (central processing unit) (i.e Intel Duel core 2.2 etc)
      If you cant get into windows even in safe mode can you get into the BIOS? most aftermarket motherboards you would use the "del" key to get into it while you are booting the PC. When you are in there you will find a lot of the info out. That will be listed in system information or something similar.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:12 AM »
        Good evening Kiti and welcome to CH

OK from what I am able to interpret the PC is a desktop and now has windows 7 am I safe to assume that it maybe had XP? but to help you any further we would need some more info because what is in the post is not enough.
        Sorry was getting more information when I had to take kid to the dentist. I just honestly wasn't sure where to start. It had XP on it at one point not sure if it was before or after the switched out all the hardware though. It's not showing a previous version under the C drive properties, though I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for.
        The PC can be freezing from many different reasons this can be a hardware issue or software issue.
        #1... What version of windows 7 32 or 64 bit?
        32 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1
        #2... If the desktop was overhauled what is the motherboard model most after market MoBo's will have the numbers silk screened around the CPU or the PCI slots (i.e ms-7301 or 845PERL etc)
        all i know about the motherboard is that it's an asus M4N68T-M, I'm happy to get more details but I can't find what I'm looking for I have all kinds of windows open regarding hardware properties and performance, but nothing shows specifically. At least to my what I'm beginning to understand as *completely forgotten everything I ever knew about computers eyes.* So if you have direction that it would be great.
        #3... What model is / was the desktop (i.e Dell C521 or was it always a custom built PC)
        It was an HP Pavillion 700 up until 3 years ago but it's been given a total new set of guts.
        #4... If the whole PC was redone inside do you or what errors have you gotten or BSOD (blue screens of death)
        That's the thing I have not seen thus far anything beyond what I've described above. I've only been told about the problems 3rd hand because my mom lives 300 miles away and i got this computer 3 days ago. I wanted to try and get a head start on figuring things out so that I wouldn't make them worse, but I don't get any errors other than the frozen keyboard and mouse (USB both) and the choose your operating system screen that appeared randomly the one time.

And the Keyboard and mouse don't appear to freeze up if the computer is active only when it is in sleep mode for extended periods of time.

#5... Is the keyboard and mouse original / old ones before the PC was redone. If the keyboard is freezing did you try another keyboard I have seen a mouse or keyboard make a PC freeze.
        Different mouses and keyboards have been used but I bought brand new ones when I brought this home because she kept the old ones for her new computer. The problems existed with her old ones, and these newer ones. I did buy them second hand and the keyboard I have was supposed to come with drivers, and didn't I was able to contact the manufacturer and had the drivers sent to me so that I could download them.

Though I did just restart the computer to get the motherboard information I provided and a keyboard error popped up saying load dll failure, so that's completely new, but I just installed the drivers for this keyboard a couple of hours ago.

It's a V7 KN0B1 which they don't even have listed on their website anymore, I had to have the tech center send me the drivers in an email.

So if at all possible please let us know what parts were replaced.
        Motherboard, Memory (how much was installed), Hard Drive, CD Drive, CPU (central processing unit) (i.e Intel Duel core 2.2 etc)

If you can bare with me I will go over the specs in the device manager now. I was told it's all new but I don't know enough about it to differentiate b/w the old and the new if that's not accurate.

And I don't currently have the casing opened up right now, and probably won't do it till tomorrow morning, it's to late now but maybe this will give you a starting point.

Ram is 4g
        Processor is AMD Phenom9tm0 II x2 550 Processor 3.10 GHz

Battery - microsoft composite Battery.
        computer - acpi x86-based PC
        Disk Drives - st350041 8as scsi Disk Device
        display adapters - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630 a
        DVD/C-ROM drives - ATAPI iHAS124 Y SCSI CdRom Device
        Human Interface Devices - HID-compliant consumer control device, HID-compliant device, USB input Device (x3)
        IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - ATA Channel 0, ATAT Channel 1, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
        Keyboards - HID Keyboard Device
        Mice and other Keyboard Device - HID-compliant mouse
        Monitors - Generic PnP Monitor
        Network adaptors - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter #2, NVIDIA nForce 10/100/100 MBPS Ethernet
        Ports (COM & LPT) - communications Port (COM1), Printer Port (LPT1)
        Processors - AMD Phenom (tm) II X2 550 Processor (x2)
        Sound, video and game controllers - High Definition Audio Device
        Storage Controller - NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (x2)
        System devices - ACPI fixed Feature Button, ATK0110 ACPI utility, Composite Bus Enumerator, Direct memory access
                                 controller, High definition, High precision event timer, HP560347 (HP photosmart D110 series), IP BusEnum
                                 Root Enumerator, Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System, Microsoft system management BIOS Driver, Microsoft
                                 Virtual Drive Enumerator Driver, Numeric Data Processor, NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management, PCI bus,
                                 PCI standard host CPU bridge (x5), PCI standard ISA bridge, PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge (x4), Plug and
                                 Play Software Device Enumerator, Programmable interrupt controller, System CMOX/real time clock/ System
                                 Speaker, system timer, UMBus Enumerator, UMBus Root Bus Enumerator
        Universal Serial bus controllers - Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller,
                                  USB Composte Device, USB Root Hub (x2)
        WSD Print Provider - WSD Print Device

If that is WAY to much info or the wrong info I apologize. It's been a long, time since I have done anything like this and windows has change more than I ever thought.

If you cant get into windows even in safe mode can you get into the BIOS? most aftermarket motherboards you would use the "del" key to get into it while you are booting the PC. When you are in there you will find a lot of the info out. That will be listed in system information or something similar.

Not sure it's 1:30 am here so I will Def check that out first thing tomorrow.

Thank you for being so helpful and trying to help me. I know that I am completely lost, and probably WAY over my head, thank you for trying to help me as I stumble blindly through this.
        « Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:05:56 AM by Kiti »

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:55 AM »
          Title of the Month Finalist...

I am sorry you found it inappropriate.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
          If the problem is coming from sleep mode, then the best solution would be to stop using it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
            If your computer is capable of running long enough and you have a printer attached to it (or a usb flash drive) then for this and future issues i would suggest that you run a free Everest scan and retain the results for times like this.
            http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
            It will not indicate what WAS in the computer before the overhaul but it will tell you everything that is there now as well as perform certain diagnostics.truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
            I've never been a fan of sleep or hibernation. While they work fine on most systems, there are some that just don't do well with one or the other or both. Instead, I always suggest changing the power options to turn off the hd and display after a defined period of quiet time. It will work well and you should not run into any problems.

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »
              I've never been a fan of sleep or hibernation. While they work fine on most systems, there are some that just don't do well with one or the other or both. Instead, I always suggest changing the power options to turn off the hd and display after a defined period of quiet time. It will work well and you should not run into any problems.

So funny enough I actually did that last night. When I got up this morning everything was frozen but this time when I restarted the computer I did get a BSD.

It came up I barely had time in my brain to register the Screen was blue and read the words management systems when it shut back down again restarted and windows system repair began.

So I will amend my previous statement and say that it appears to happen after long periods of inactivity.
              « Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:18:06 AM by Kiti »

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
                If your computer is capable of running long enough and you have a printer attached to it (or a usb flash drive) then for this and future issues i would suggest that you run a free Everest scan and retain the results for times like this.
                http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
                It will not indicate what WAS in the computer before the overhaul but it will tell you everything that is there now as well as perform certain diagnostics.truenorth

Thanks I'll give that a try once I can get back on it.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
                « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
                Good evening Kiti and welcome back to CH

Thank you so much for taking the time to give the information that you were able to get. Sorry I am not trying to make my post so long I am just trying to write everything down to help you.  ;D Most of this post will be just information for you and my questions for you will be on the bottom of this post. Plus did you get the windows disc from your mom when you got the PC. you will need this to fix windows and / or install the OS if needed.     

In-case you need it here is your motherboard manual http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM/#download and scroll down to the manual section and just pick English unless you want a different version. Plus for future use you can also get your drivers for the motherboard from the same link (just remember you want windows 7 32 bit version drivers). Don't worry Asus makes a great product and I have used them for years and from what I am reading / interpreting you may have a software or configuration issue or the BIOS may be miss-configured.   

OK the motherboard asus M4N68T-M will work with XP 32 & 64, Vista 32 & 64, W7 32 & 64bit approved.

In my opinion if you end up re-installing the OS (windows) I would do the install as such. Plus I never have any unnecessary equipment plugged in until the drivers are installed and the PC is running normal (i.e printers, external hard drives, scanners etc)   
                #1... Install windows (operating system)
                #2... Install the chipset drivers (these drivers tell the OS how to handle the motherboard hardware)
                #3... Install the video drivers
                #4... Install the network card drivers
                #5... Install the sound card drivers 
                #6... Now if any other add-on cards / external devices need to be installed now is when I install and set them up.

Now here comes the questions.

#1... But to be safe a would do a scan with your AV suite just to be safe if you can.
                #2... If this PC was always acting up even when your mom had it and before she replaced the parts maybe the PS (power supply) is not feeding enough juice to bring it out of sleep / hibernation and maybe it was not replaced when the motherboard was. Do know the part number on the PS it should be on the label. Some cheap aftermarket PS are over rated in the wattage.
                #3... Will the PC freeze up if left alone in safe mode?
                #4... I don't know if you will know this when windows 7 was installed did they just use the windows drivers or did they use Asus drivers?
                #5... Is the date and time correct in the BIOS & windows?
                #6... In the BIOS is the hard drive set as first boot device
                #7... It is possible that the CMOS battery is going bad and if so the settings in the BIOS will get changed. This one will go hand in hand with #5

Well I ill stop rambling on I am not trying to throw to much at you all at once, sorry Mike  ;D ;D     

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Kiti

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
                  Good evening Kiti and welcome back to CH

Thank you so much for taking the time to give the information that you were able to get. Sorry I am not trying to make my post so long I am just trying to write everything down to help you.  ;D Most of this post will be just information for you and my questions for you will be on the bottom of this post. Plus did you get the windows disc from your mom when you got the PC. you will need this to fix windows and / or install the OS if needed.     

In-case you need it here is your motherboard manual http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM/#download and scroll down to the manual section and just pick English unless you want a different version. Plus for future use you can also get your drivers for the motherboard from the same link (just remember you want windows 7 32 bit version drivers). Don't worry Asus makes a great product and I have used them for years and from what I am reading / interpreting you may have a software or configuration issue or the BIOS may be miss-configured.   

OK the motherboard asus M4N68T-M will work with XP 32 & 64, Vista 32 & 64, W7 32 & 64bit approved.

In my opinion if you end up re-installing the OS (windows) I would do the install as such. Plus I never have any unnecessary equipment plugged in until the drivers are installed and the PC is running normal (i.e printers, external hard drives, scanners etc)   
                  #1... Install windows (operating system)
                  #2... Install the chipset drivers (these drivers tell the OS how to handle the motherboard hardware)
                  #3... Install the video drivers
                  #4... Install the network card drivers
                  #5... Install the sound card drivers 
                  #6... Now if any other add-on cards / external devices need to be installed now is when I install and set them up.

Now here comes the questions.

#1... But to be safe a would do a scan with your AV suite just to be safe if you can.
                  #2... If this PC was always acting up even when your mom had it and before she replaced the parts maybe the PS (power supply) is not feeding enough juice to bring it out of sleep / hibernation and maybe it was not replaced when the motherboard was. Do know the part number on the PS it should be on the label. Some cheap aftermarket PS are over rated in the wattage.
                  #3... Will the PC freeze up if left alone in safe mode?
                  #4... I don't know if you will know this when windows 7 was installed did they just use the windows drivers or did they use Asus drivers?
                  #5... Is the date and time correct in the BIOS & windows?
                  #6... In the BIOS is the hard drive set as first boot device
                  #7... It is possible that the CMOS battery is going bad and if so the settings in the BIOS will get changed. This one will go hand in hand with #5

Well I ill stop rambling on I am not trying to throw to much at you all at once, sorry Mike  ;D ;D     

So not gonna lie had a couple cocktails tonight. i am sending questions 1, 2 and 4 to my mom for review to get the answer, no I didn't get the windows 7 with the computer they lost it and are still searching. The rest of your questions will have to wait until tomorrow, so that I know with a couple cocktails in me I'm doing everything right. If you get this before i try and stumble into this on my own, can you tell me how to check numbers 5,6 and 7?

If you don't see this first I will either come back to you a lost lamb or will have sufficiently googled the how too.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »
                  Good morning Kiti and welcome back

Hay I am thirsty where's mine  ;D

But to answer your questions for 5, 6 & 7 when you start the PC you can get into the BIOS. Most aftermarket motherboards to get into the BIOS you would keep on tapping the "del" key but yours may be different while booting the PC look on the bottom of the screen it will say something to the effect of to enter setup press ? or to enter BIOS configuration press?

To get & verify the info on the Main page it will have the date / time etc then use the arrow keys to go over to Boot then arrow down to Boot device priority then make sure Hard drive is listed first then hit the "esc" key and now save the settings.

If you have to set the date or time than chances being the CMOS battery is bad. If the battery is bad they can be purchased at just about any place that sells watch batteries the part number is  CR2032 and cost about 3-5 $

Plus did the COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) this is a sticker that should have been put on the desktop some where this sticker will have 25 digits (5 groups of 5 letters and numbers) if you ever have to reinstall you will need this number. Now if your mom can't find the windows disc you can borrow one from a friend so long as it is a Windows 7 Home premium disc you would be able to use it. 

Hope this helps, Mike

I still am thirsty  ;D ;D ::)