Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't uninstall Vidalia  (Read 15899 times)

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I can't uninstall Vidalia
    « on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
    So I was trying to uninstall Vidalia today and now I'll probably never be able to uninstall it.

Because some things popped up from my Comodo Firewall and it said something about malware activity so I freaked out basically and kept hitting "Block" on my Comodo Firewall.

Now... I can't uninstall Vidalia. Whenever I select and attempt to run the Uninstall.exe for Vidalia it says this:

"NSIS Error. Error launching installer"

Is there any way to fix this so I can uninstall Vidalia or am I properly screwed now?

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: I can't uninstall Vidalia
      « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
      http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Do I REALLY have to install ANOTHER program JUST to uninstall a program I don't want?

That seems a little ridiculous IMO.

Is there another way to uninstall it?

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
      Sounds like all that firewalling broke the uninstaller or a dependency in some way. Remove all entries in comodo's firewall that block vidalia, and try it again. If it still fails you can try re-installing vidalia to fix the uninstaller. Revo does a good job of cleaning up leftovers from uninstalls, but the free version won't fix a broken uninstaller (if that's even possible).

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
      It seems that Vidalia is associated with Tor Project : https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en
      How do I uninstall Tor?

This depends entirely on how you installed it and which operating system you have. If you installed a package, then hopefully your package has a way to uninstall itself. The Windows packages include uninstallers. The proper way to completely remove Tor, Vidalia, Torbutton for Firefox, and Polipo on any version of Windows is as follows:

A.    In your taskbar, right click on Vidalia (the green onion or the black head) and choose exit.
             Right click on the taskbar to bring up TaskManager. Look for tor.exe in the Process List. If it's running, right click
             and choose End Process.
      B.    Click the Start button, go to Programs, go to Vidalia, choose Uninstall. This will remove the Vidalia bundle, which    includes Tor and Polipo.
      C.    Start Firefox. Go to the Tools menu, choose Add-ons. Select Torbutton. Click the Uninstall button.

If you do not follow these steps (for example by trying to uninstall Vidalia, Tor, and Polipo while they are still running), you will need to reboot and manually remove the directory "Program Files\Vidalia Bundle"
      The FAQ also states that it is detected by certain protection softwares as a virus or false positive.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »
      Do I REALLY have to install ANOTHER program JUST to uninstall a program I don't want?

Nope. It's your system and you can do whatever you want to do. If it were mine, I'd do exactly as I suggested.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
        Sounds like all that firewalling broke the uninstaller or a dependency in some way. Remove all entries in comodo's firewall that block vidalia, and try it again. If it still fails you can try re-installing vidalia to fix the uninstaller. Revo does a good job of cleaning up leftovers from uninstalls, but the free version won't fix a broken uninstaller (if that's even possible).

I'm not really entirely sure how to do that either though. I suppose if I don't have any other choice, I'll install that program and uninstall it that way.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
        You could also try booting to safemode...turn off Comodo...re-boot and try and uninstall it from safemode.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »
          Alright. I guess I don't have a choice. Obviously.

I'll install that program and uninstall Vidalia that way. Doing it this way is a pain in the you-know-what, but, like I said, I obviously don't have a choice.

I'll do it when I can find the time to do it. I'll update this thread when I do it and say if it worked or not.

Once again, thank you for giving me all of this help.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
            I have no choice but to double post.

I installed Revo Uninstaller. However, Vidalia isn't showing up in Revo Uninstaller.

Now what?

:'(

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:59:17 AM »
            Re0install Vidalia as some components are sandbox hidden from the protection app...

Then run Revo.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
              Re0install Vidalia as some components are sandbox hidden from the protection app...

Then run Revo.

Why? Installing it once already made me worried that it would screw up my computer. Should it just show up in revo uninstaller?

This... doesn't make any sense...

:'(

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
              It's explained above why Revo doesn't list it...

Did you try my method in Post #7 ? ?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:11 AM »
              Alternatively, you can try Revo's "Hunter Mode"

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
                • Programming Blog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »
              If it doesn't show in revo, then it's not stuck in the add/remove programs list. I'd just go to msconfig if it is an autostarting app and disable it, then delete the files in program files. If you want it 'nice' you can then go in regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, software and look for Vidalia (or company name) and delete it. If it's not there, then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead, then do the same as above.

After all this, you can also run a reg cleaner, although many people will advise against it. It really isn't necessary.
              YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe