Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Locked out of computer; Windows 8  (Read 16818 times)

hp2013

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Locked out of computer; Windows 8
    « on: February 08, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
    I use an HP laptop that has Simplepass (swipe your finger and it automatically remembers passwords). I downloaded Windows 8 and my simplepass would not work. I uninstalled the current simplepass drivers I had to reinstall the correct version of simplepass for Windows 8. Before I could reactivate/download the new simple pass, I walked away from my computer and it locked. Simplepass was the only way I had into my computer. I never had a real password that I typed in. So now it is prompting me for my password, but I never created one. It gives me the option to use the fingerprint option (simplepass), but since I unistalled it obviously it does not work. I cannot get into my computer. What should I do?

Thanks!!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Locked out of computer; Windows 8
      « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
      Obviously you have access to another computer. So as is often the case when using a program specific password that needs to be changed (or has been forgotten) there is normally a protocol with the service provider (in this case simplepass) that once you jump through their security process hoops you should be able to be reinstated. Obviously in this case a method will have to be initiated by them or some manner of directing your "locked" computer to accept some kind of input direction. Can you get into safe mode on that computer/truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
      There is still a password. You just don't know what it is. Or, rather- you don't remember what it is, since you have to put it in when you setup SimplePass.

There isn't a way around this, as far as I know, aside from remembering your password, or any number of windows Account "Cracking" tools- but we don't help with that here.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hp2013

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
        Thank you both for the help!
        I've tried to start it in safe mode, but have not been able to. When it turns on, it says press esc to start mode. Then I click startup mode, but safe mode is not an option. I am not that familiar with safe mode.  Is there another way to start in safe mode with Windows 8?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
          The manner of entering safe mode can be variable within computer manufacturers. More often it is rapidly pressing (continuously) the "F8" key at computer boot up before the windows logo screen appears. Don't forget the other method i suggested that is likely to be your best hope.truenorth

hp2013

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
            Okay. I don't have my computer with me at the moment, but when I get back to it, I'll try the f8 safe mode method and if I can't get that to work I'll contact HP SimplePass like you said.  Thanks again for all the help! I appreciate it!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
            They changed it for Win8...
            It's Shift +F8.

Here's A Guide...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johansson

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
              There are two options for your situation: one is reset Windows 8 system, and this will restore your computer to factory settings. Another option is use another PC to create a bootable PCUnlocker CD, then boot your Windows 8 computer from the CD, it lets you remove the existing logon password.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
              There are two options for your situation: one is reset Windows 8 system, and this will restore your computer to factory settings. Another option is use another PC to create a bootable PCUnlocker CD, then boot your Windows 8 computer from the CD, it lets you remove the existing logon password.

He's been gone since February...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "