Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Speed vs Bandwith  (Read 2413 times)

BuyDell

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    Internet Speed vs Bandwith
    « on: March 10, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
    I'm working at a school where we just got 30 iPads. We current have Comcast Bussiness Internet basic service which is about 16mb/sec. When they tried to access the WiFi after 5 iPads logged on, it was painfully slow. Of course there are other computers throughout the school who could have been accessing the network at the same time. The next step up is 27mb/sec.
    My question is dont I need a wider bandwidth ? Or will a increase in speed automatically increase the bandwidth ?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet Speed vs Bandwith
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
    Not all devices are receiving data at the same instant of time.  A wireless should handle 5 units with no problem.
    However, with other computers working in other places, and all are using the one service, the effective bandwidth will be the Comcast bandwidth dived by the number of units actually doing  separate steams. That could be rather meager.

Or put another way, not fast enough for video feeds to each student.
    IMO, just adding more bandwidth is the the optimum solution. A Telecommunication expert needs to analyze what your real needs are.

Somebody needs to explain to the administrators what video streaming is and is not. Streaming video to 30 discrete users is not the same as broadcasting to a wide audience.

The schools needs can be better served by a mix of broadcasting and  discrete internet searching and smearing I believe this document will clarify some things.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/ciscovideowp.pdf.

In concert with global macro-economic changes and the growth of social interconnectedness worldwide, education  is undergoing a major shift, as brick-and-mortar classrooms are opening up to rich media content, subject matter
    experts, and to one another. This shift has been influenced largely by technological and pedagogical trends, greater worldwide access to the Internet, an explosion of mobile phone users, and the appreciation for these technologies by
    young people, as well as by teachers. Video appears poised to be a major contributor to the shift in the educational  ....
    Some of the applications of broadcast and streaming video discussed in the white paper ...
    Please look at the full text. The introduction does not clearly show the problem.