Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Won't boot up with new graphics card.  (Read 15914 times)

jtylr270

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    PC Won't boot up with new graphics card.
    « on: May 06, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
    Hello and thank you in advance for helpful information you might have for my situation.

I purchased a new graphics card for my Dell pc. I was currently running an AMD Radeon 7770.
    The new card I purchased was a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X. Model # GV-R928XOC-3GD.
    After installation of the new card, my pc will not boot up. I am only getting a black screen after powering on the pc. I cannot even switch to my onboard graphics while the card is installed in the slot. If i remove the card from the slot, the integrated graphics port works. Reinserting the old 7770 worked fine as well.

All fans work including cpu and gpu fans upon power up. The hard drive also spins from what I can tell, however no peripherals such mouse or keyboard work while the new 280X is installed.
    I called Gigabyte for support and they told me my PCI E slot may not be compatible. I do not know how to check this.
    I am using an EVGA 600B Power Supply.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC Won't boot up with new graphics card.
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
    I ran into similar problems with an older ( 5 year old ) system and PCIE 16x. I found out that my PCIE 16x slot was only 1.1 and was not 2.0. Some video cards will not work with the older PCIE 1.1. The card I had prior that worked in this motherboard was a PCIE 2.0. The video card I attempted to upgrade to was PCIE 16x 2.1 and it would not work with 1.1. I got a black screen just like you stated. I placed this same video card into a newer motherboard with a PCIE 16x 2.0 slot and the 2.1 card is able to operate fine on 2.0. So this older motherboard with the 1.1 slot is going to stick with the 2.0 Radeon HD5450 with 512MB RAM I guess. This is my older gaming system anyways. I have a better system that has the better 2.1 card in its 2.0 slot. Just waiting for a deal on an 8-core FX CPU for it. Currently using a 4-core Athlon II.

What is the exact model of your Dell so we can look up motherboard info and see what it has for a PCIE slot spec?

If this video card is powered off of a molex connection from the PSU, then its either a PCIE slot issue with spec speed or you may have gotten a bad video card to put into the system. From Gigabyte though that would be really rare to get a bad video card. If the video card is powered off of the PCIE slot directly without any 12v molex connection direct from PSU, I have also heard of some people overloading the PCIE slots wattage before. Usually cards that are watt hungry come with a 12v molex direct power connection to ease the power demands off of the PCIE slot.

jtylr270

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
      My power supply had a pair of 6+2 pin connectors labeled PCIE so I was using those to plug in the card. The card itself did come with a pair connectors though, molex at one end and 6 and 8 pin at the other. Does it matter which set I used?

Motherboard
         Manufacturer   Dell Inc.
         Model   0YJPT1 (CPU 1)
         Chipset Vendor   Intel
         Chipset Model   Ivy Bridge
         Chipset Revision   09
         Southbridge Vendor   Intel
         Southbridge Model   H77
         Southbridge Revision   04
         System Temperature   28 °C
            BIOS
               Brand   Dell Inc.
               Version   A05
               Date   4/18/2012
            Voltage
               CPU CORE   1.044 V
               MEMORY CONTROLLER   1.500 V
               +3.3V   2.040 V
               +5V   2.843 V
               -5V   (8.928) V
               +5V HIGH THRESHOLD   2.762 V
               CMOS BATTERY   1.536 V
            PCI Data
                  Slot PCI-E
                     Slot Type   PCI-E
                     Slot Usage   Available
                     Data lanes   x16
                     Slot Designation   PCIE1
                     Characteristics   3.3V, Shared, PME
                     Slot Number   0
                  Slot PCI-E
                     Slot Type   PCI-E
                     Slot Usage   Available
                     Data lanes   x1
                     Slot Designation   PCIE2
                     Slot Number   1
                  Slot PCI-E
                     Slot Type   PCI-E
                     Slot Usage   Available
                     Data lanes   x1
                     Slot Designation   PCIE3
                     Slot Number   2
                  Slot PCI-E
                     Slot Type   PCI-E
                     Slot Usage   Available
                     Data lanes   x1
                     Slot Designation   PCIE4
                     Slot Number   3

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
      Ok your system is fairly new then. BIOS of 2012. You likely have PCI-E 2.0 if not 2.1, so the video card should work without issues.

As long as the connection on the video card is fully satisfied with the 12VDC ( yellow and black ) wires it should work. Some video cards some with an adapter to convert some lesser featured power supplies to be able to power the video card.

Here are test options which may or may not be available to you:

Test the system with a different power supply and see if you get same results.

-OR-

Test this video card into another known good system with a power supply of at least 550 watts or so to see if the card works in another system.

If the power supply swap fixes it then you need a new PSU and this PSU is running weak and not really 600 watts anymore ( It can happen ). If the video card doesnt work in another system then maybe its a freak occurance of Gigabyte selling a defective video card.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »
      In addition to the above, if your card has the dual BIOS switch it's worth switching that to the other position and trying the card again - it won't hurt.
      I've read instances of some R9 series cards giving the same problem if the system's BIOS isn't compatible, it can usually be fixed by either flashing the card's BIOS or the board's BIOS.  Some cards come with a UEFI and non-UEFI BIOS to cover both possibilities, some are the same BIOS on both switches for backup purposes.  It won't hurt to try it.
      Do you know if there's a BIOS update available for your system direct from Dell, too?

jackj

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »
        have you tried uninstalling the driver for your previous card in your system before installing the driver?  this solved my prob before. i did this both before installing the card

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »
        Please test the card in another machine as DaveLembke said, but if you cannot then read on...

I had an issue with my motherboard where the Top PCI-e slot was faulty. It ran my HD4870 (PCI-e 2.0 16x) but in BIOS it would only work at 4x speed at 1.1, not 16x at 2.0.
        When I upgraded to an HD7870 the card would not work at all. Changing the BIOS settings for the PCI-e slot made no difference.

RMAing the Motherboard solved the issue and gave me full 16x PCI-e 3.0 support.

Place your old card back into the machine, boot it up, ensure the drivers are installed correctly and run GPU-z from
        http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2360/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-8/

Run the tool and on the right hand side in the middle-ish there will be a box labeled Bus Interface. Whatever it states before the @ symbol is the cards normal standard, after the @ symbol is the cards current running standard. You may need to click the ? button next to the box and run the rendering test if your card, like mine, drops down to 1.1 standard when idle.

If the card is reporting incorrect values or reports anything different than the supposed rate, then it can be a BIOS setting interfering with the new card.

eQuilibrium

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
          In your case, the new graphics card is possible cause of the problem. It is possible that your newly installed graphics card is not compatible with your motherboard. Also, mouse stops working upon installing the graphics card?... There could be an IRQ (Interrupt Request) conflict between the graphics card and the mouse driver. Try troubleshooting the conflict by right-clicking My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and there you will be able to view your hardwares installed in your computer.   ;) 

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:57 AM »
          Feel free to ignore the above post.