Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linksys wireless router joining  (Read 3019 times)

kay5ive

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Linksys wireless router joining
    « on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »
    Hi,
    I have 2 Linksys Wireless Router (WAP54G) in my lab. I want to add second router in my lab so it works fine with all my clients with good signal strength. What should i have to put settings for my 2nd router to joining with 1st router?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Linksys wireless router joining
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
    There is usually an option to allow the 2nd to act as a repeater. This will be part of the features of one of the routers or may be able to be implemented by flashing a compatible router to DD-WRT and then configuring it to act as one.

I haven't played with this with DD-WRT yet I have my router flashed with DD-WRT for QoS throttling and priority of service for VoIP phone etc. Flashing a router is a irreversable action. Once you blow away the original flash with DD-WRT you cant go back to the original without sending the router in to factory for a reflash and most will not cover flashing back to factory default flash as part of a warranty coverage.

More info here:

http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range-boosting-wi-fi-repeater

If the computers will always be located in a certain area, you can always just run a cat5 cable from the output of one of the routers to the internet in port of the other router and have 2 routers acting as routers both able to support up to 254 devices with 2 unique DHCP pools to operate from. This is the easiest and most reliable method to have other computers communicate wireless as for when adding in a repeater depending on how many people are connected you can have wifi latency, meanwhile if you had 2 routers acting as routers in a daisy chain each router handles its own wifi traffic juggle and the traffic flows through the Cat5 cables out and back from the web. I have this double router set up in my home so that I have 1 wifi network that shuts off by a outlet timer to restrict my daughters internet access hours of operation, but it allows me to have 24/7 wifi for myself and my wife.

motherhen

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
      Hi, I am a newbie. My question has to do with double routers. I have CCTV which is hooked up with my Linsky's router and " Basic setup ". However, I just got a Router/Modem from my Internet Provider . I need to BRIDGE  the two routers inorder to be able to see my camreas when I am outside of my home. But the tech guy who installed my CCTV camreas has move from my area , so I have no way to get in touch with him.
      My next issue is that whenever I try to use Internet Explorer on Firefox or Explorer I get " blank page " What should I do? Please help.
      P.S.  Both routers are hooked up . I have to manually connect each one whenever I need to check my CCTV recordings.
                    Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
      motherhen,
      Please start a new thread. Unless you can help the OP.

motherhen

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
        Thanks Geek, I'll do that