Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Huge speed-loss over Powerline  (Read 11395 times)

chibi95

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Huge speed-loss over Powerline
    « on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
    Hello everyone!
    Recently, a friend of mine had some trouble with his Internet. I have the same provider and the same subscription as him.
    He looked up some information and found out that we are supposed to have 160MBPS download speed but when i test it i have about 30.
    I wanted to contact my provider but decided to check the speed directly from the modem since my computer is connected trough powerline.
    When i connected the ethernet cable, that i use for my powerline, from my modem to my laptop i got 150MBPS.
    I use a 'TP-LINK 500mbps' as powerline.

Is there something i can do to increase the speed cause it seems that losing 120MPBS over powerline is a lot.

Salmon Trout

Re: Huge speed-loss over Powerline
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
    Why don't you use an ethernet cable from the modem to your computer? Those powerline plug links are not ideal. Interference and noise on the AC wiring will reduce the speed. You can get electrical noise from appliances in the same building -  dimmer switches, things with motors such as air-conditioner, washing machine, electric fans, mobile phone charger or other wall warts, laptop charger, etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
    TP-LINK 500mbps
    As the name suggests, the speed is up  to 500mbps. That should be at least one order of magnitude above any DSL service
    Here is  their site:
    http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-PA511
    They claim:
    Up to 500Mbps, 300 Meters
    With advanced HomePlug AV technology, TL-PA511 provides users with stable, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 500Mbps on a line length of up to 300 meters. Together with its built-in Qos and powerful AES encryption, the TL-PA511 is a great choice for a whole home solution to connect all network compatible devices--from computers and game consoles to set-top boxes for IPTV to printers and NAS hard drives.
    One would think the overhead of the  power-line is very small.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
    Quote from: Geek-9PM
    One would think the overhead of the  power-line is very small.

One would be mistaken. These powerline adapters never achieve the speed on the box, it's usually about one quarter of that in real world conditions. Or less. A lot of things can bring the speed down even more. If the two plugs are on different branch circuits, if one or more are on shared power strips, if the plugs pins are ill fitting in the outlet, if certain kinds of equipment is connected to the AC in the building as I mentioned above. Don't believe the hype. I have a pair of 500 mbps powerplugs linking my smart TV to my router via about 10 feet of AC wiring and I tested the link and got 85 mbps until I switched on my electric fan oven which is at the other end of the house and it dropped to below 50 mbps. I use the link for streaming 1080p video and you don't need more than about 20 mbps for that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
    Salmon Trout,
    My comment was not meant to undercut  your observation. Rather I was quoting what the manufacturer claims. I think the claim is outrageous. I twould have been more prudent for the company to make a more modest claim and let users find out that in some cases they might get more .

Electrical noise in some places is horrible. Power lime communication just does not work well at ll in urban areas whee old electrical equipment is not replaced or well maintained.   In some cases the utility companies themselves are the worst offenders with down lines land broken insulators.

Besides that, the laws of physics limit what you can send over a power line.
    Gigabit data rates require a well constructed cable or a fiber optic link or a  microwave link. A power line is not a suitable medium for very high data rates.

The reviews of power line network fail to mention that you will not get what in many urban environments where line disturbances are common.

chibi95

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
      Why don't you use an ethernet cable from the modem to your computer? Those powerline plug links are not ideal. Interference and noise on the AC wiring will reduce the speed. You can get electrical noise from appliances in the same building -  dimmer switches, things with motors such as air-conditioner, washing machine, electric fans, mobile phone charger or other wall warts, laptop charger, etc.

I know that an ethernet calbe straight from the modem to my pc is the best option, but it isn't possible.
      To get an ethernet cable from my modem (which is downstairs) to my pc (which is upstairs) some holes will have to be drilled and since i don't have a say over things like this (i requested it but my request got denied) that won't be possible.

Powerline seemed like the best solution for me. If there is something better then powerlan (not including a direct connection from modem to pc) i would like to know.
      I can work with the speed i have, but it seems rather weird that i lose so much over powerline.

chibi95

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
        TP-LINK 500mbps
        As the name suggests, the speed is up  to 500mbps. That should be at least one order of magnitude above any DSL service
        Here is  their site:
        http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-PA511
        They claim:One would think the overhead of the  power-line is very small.

I know that i should never trust the word of a manufacturer. They could be telling the truth, but there's always a big chance that they are just telling you something to sell you something.
        I actually didn't buy these, they were here. My father got them once but in the end never used them. I found them when i was getting sick if my very unstable Wifi.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
        I know that i should never trust the word of a manufacturer. They could be telling the truth

500 mbps is a theoretical maximum but not a speed that normal users are likely to see.