Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet cuts out with large downloads  (Read 4585 times)

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Internet cuts out with large downloads
    « on: August 07, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »
    (Sorry if this is the wrong forum)

I've been having this issue for awhile now where my internet will cut out when downloading large files. Small ones are fine, but for instance, I just loaded up Steam and a game had to do a large update, and my internet cut out. It will continue cutting out on and off until I pause or stop the download, which is what I had to do.

I usually forget about this problem until I load up Steam, because I don't do many large downloads. I don't THINK it's just a Steam issue, because it's happened with a regular, large download before. However I can run uTorrent and be fine, so I'm not sure.

A few weeks ago I contacted my ISP and she confirmed that my internet was disconnecting, but the 2 fixes she suggested (resetting the router, and unscrewing then screwing the cables back in) didn't fix the issue - apparently. It's a hard thing to test for because I can't just be downloading large files to test it. And not everything seems to trigger the issue? I'm not sure.

Any idea what could be causing this? I hope it's a small fix. I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit, but this problem happened when I used Windows 8 too.
    I don't THINK this problem happened when I first got this computer over a year ago. I'm unsure if it's a computer thing or an internet thing.... I dunno.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Internet cuts out with large downloads
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
    If they suggested and detected that your computer is really disconnecting, then the ISP technician should be called for a series of checking with your network cable, filters and router.

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
      If they suggested and detected that your computer is really disconnecting, then the ISP technician should be called for a series of checking with your network cable, filters and router.

I contacted my ISP again... the guy was reluctant to grasp what was going on, saying my internet wasn't really dropping, but then he caved and told me my modem is an "older" model and that I should go into their store and pick up a better model that should be able to handle the data :) I hope this works!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »
      Good to hear you solved the problem. :)