Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what modem/router should I buy?  (Read 2459 times)

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    what modem/router should I buy?
    « on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
    Im looking to upgrade my modem due to wifi drop outs(Enthernet cable does not drop out) and alot of traffic. First off my ISP is Clubtelco, I have ADSL2. the devices that will be connected are; 1 desktop computer used for gaming, 2 PS3's, an 8 channel DVR, a D-Link 345 NAS storage device and a few smart phones. I understand i will be limited by my ISP's speed but when im gaming i usually disconnect or turn off other devices but the wifi still drops out alot.

So I was wondering if there is a mid range modem I can buy that would for one work better with my NAS and two will not drop the wireless signal every 10 minutes.
    intel i7 4930k with corsair liquid cooling
    geforce GTX titan 3gb super-clocked
    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
    intel 120gb SSD
    gigabyte x79-p4 motherbord
    corsair cubecase

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: what modem/router should I buy?
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:02:39 AM »
    If you wanted to save money in not having to buy a modem/router combination, you could always attach a new router to the existing modem/router combination. Shut off the troubled wireless on the old one and make the new wireless active.

I did this a while back when I found a good deal on a wireless access point and didnt need to replace my router which was wired only. I just plugged a patch cable between say port 3 on the wired router and the internet port of the access point and everything ran fine once the security wifi settings were configured for WEP at the time on Wireless B.

Since then, I have placed routers in series as a double hardware firewall and to distance my home systems from systems that have port forwards that if compromised could give someone access to my LAN, by having 2 routers in series with the first having port forwards etc for hosting servers etc allowing access from elsewhere, and my private home systems under max security with no port forwards and different router brand/make/model, and admin password. So that the worst that could happen if there was a zero day exploit that hit a server of mine if that they make it into the first LAN, but not to the private LAN that is 2nd in series away from the internet.

*This adds a small amount of latency, but other than looking at ping ms differences between systems on LAN1 closest to the web and LAN2 which is furthest from the web, the small latency is otherwise not noticable to users on LAN2.