Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ethernet - "limited", invalid ip configuration  (Read 2795 times)

john8thomas

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Ethernet - "limited", invalid ip configuration
    « on: October 21, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
    I've been having this problem lately with the ethernet on my schools campus. I'm running a windows 8.1 on an ultra book for those wanting to know. The connection used to give me the name of the university, until one day long ago i started to get interested in this stuff and must have messed up some setting. Anyway the ethernet connection now is labeled as "unidentified network" and at random times it's connection will stop and become "limited". The diagnose option tells me that the ethernet has an invalid ip configuration.  I've seen some tutorials that tell me to disable the internet protocol v6 in the ethernet properties, then insert certain IPs and DNS numbers in so it would be done manually. But Since this is a university I plan on leaving during breaks and would like this not to be a problem everywhere I go. I'd be grateful for the help if you have any ideas and ill answer as many questions as I cab

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ethernet - "limited", invalid ip configuration
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
    Most universities have an IT department that can aid the students in resolving issues like these for free as part of the tuition cost.

I wouldnt mess with IP, Gateway, and DNS info... set them all up for dynamic unspecified IP's as for the network that you connect to will give you a lease from DHCP and allow you to connect.

Is this for a wifi or a wired connection to the college network?

Shandy

Intermediate
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Ethernet - "limited", invalid ip configuration
      « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:43 AM »
      You could just delete all the settings for the connection (as in remove the connection from you PC) and then set up a new one exactly how you did it the first time around.