Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with sharing files in local network, WIN VISTA HP/WIN 8.1 PRO  (Read 3246 times)

draculass

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello,

I've got a major problem with sharing files in my local network, I'll describe everything below. Also sorry if any proper names I write are slightly different but I'm using my OS in Polish and I'm translating everything on the spot.

Currently I'm writing from my PC, which is equipped with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (SP 2).
    Some details of the hardware:
    Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB
    (I don't think any more details are necessary, considering the problem)

The other computer mentioned in this topic is my laptop, equipped with Windows 8.1 Pro. I've just bought it. All my systems are legal.
    Proc: Intel Pentium 3550M (2 cores, 2.30 GHz, 2 MB cache)
    RAM: 4 GB
    (preceeding questions - I've already installed all network drivers)

I'm using Asus RT-N12E N300 router.

The problem is:
    I bought the router yesterday, I did all the setup stuff correctly, generally there are no problems with connecting computers to the Internet (the network is private, btw). I connected my PC and my laptop to one home network.

The thing is, I wanted to share some files from my PC's hard drive so I don't have to waste years trying to move things around, so I started searching how to do it. I tried so many things that now I'm not quite sure what I've done, but I guess I just connected one device to another and now they're able to see each other in the local network. It's possible to access one of them via the other and likewise, they even have some default shared folders (like Music, Images etc.)

I tried to enable hard drive (not the system one) sharing by accessing properties -> sharing -> advanced settings -> share this folder. Upon clicking on 'permissions', there are no other computers but just the PC - it's impossible to select my laptop and extend permissions. Ignoring that, I just selected that everyone can do everything - access and edit.

When I enter my PC from my laptop, I can see the default shared folders (and I can access them) and I also see the shared D drive, but when I click it, it says that I don't have a permission and that I should contact the owner of the network.

I tried everything possible on my Vista here - I enabled file sharing, I made sure the network is private, I tried to map the network drive (bascially same thing happened), I made sure that password protection is disabled, on both of the computers the accounts have the same name and no password, I also tried sharing a specific folder from that hard drive - with the same result. It seems that the only possibility to share anything is to move stuff to the public folder so I can access it, but I don't want to do it with that lot of files that I have. I need to get file sharing to work :(

About home groups/work groups - as I've read, windows Vista doesn't support home groups, so I can't connect via that. What is interesting, when I wanted to set up a work group on my PC, it turned out that there is an existing one and that I can't make a new one or do anything with the old one, I just don't have such possibility. There is an existing workgroup, called - surprisingly - WORKGROUP, and I think I was able to access it on the laptop but nothing happened. Besides, the computers are seeing each other in the network and allow sharing to some extent, so I'm not sure what is the purpose.

I'm aware that connecting Vista to 8.1 might not be the best or easiest thing to do, but heck, it's technically the same OS, they SHOULD connect at some point, at least I guess so.

I'd be SO grateful for any piece of advice, I'm completely lost and I'm not sure what more I can do. I'm almost sure that I forgot to mention other stuff I did but it was so late and I did so many things at once that I vaguely remember my actions. I'll write more if I remember anything worth mentioning. Thanks in advance!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with sharing files in local network, WIN VISTA HP/WIN 8.1 PRO
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
    Try disabling the Firewall on the Vista system, and see if the 8.1 system can access the folder then by \\ipaddress\sharename or \\systemname\sharename

I have had before where everything is set up correct but no connection, but then disabling the Firewall on the system that you are attempting to connect to fixing this. Upon knowing that this is the issue then all you have to do is set up an exception for the firewall for this share to work, and then turn firewall back on to have some protection vs none.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
    Some simple rules
    Do not share the whole drive.
    Shae a 'public' or sheared folders.
    Nome work group as MSHOME. It is a home network.
    Computers have different names, but same users.
    Example: BOB is on every computer as a administrative user. His password is the same on all computers.
    All computers use DHCP from the router.
    The network setup wizard must me run on every PC in the network.
    All computers must hare at least on folder shared to all.
    Find Microsoft Network Tutorial using the Google in Polish search.
    Samouczek pomocy Microsoft Network
    http://office.microsoft.com/pl-pl/infopath-help/uzyskiwanie-pomocy-dotyczacej-projektowania-formularzy-HP001096736.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915218/pl
    Sorry, no spekee polisk.  ;)

draculass

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
      @Geek-9pm

As I've written, I've already tried to a specific folder (rather than the whole drive), and it didn't work.
      I have also written that I cannot create any new workgroups, or rename the existing one - for some reason, the workgroup on Vista has been automatically created and I can't amend it in any way.

Thanks for trying to help me with the Polish version of the Help, but unfortunately you've linked an article on something completely different :) Besides, I can easily work with the English one, too. Anyway, I don't need a tutorial on how to create a Network, as I've already done that. I've read all that I had in my system's Help on sharing files between two computers; I did everything the Help told me to do yet it didn't work, that's why I'm asking for help here.

@DaveLembke

I think at some point I've tried disabling Firewall or adding exceptions, but I'm not too sure - I'll try to do this once more, thanks! I'll write as soon as I try this method.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 12:41:27 AM »
      Sorry I could not help.
      There is a rule that you should not share a whole dirve.
      But you can work around that.
      Windows 7: Shared C Drive but access denied
      The above is for Windows  7 and I think it can apply to Windows 8.1 also.

BTW: You can get a legal trail version of Windows 8.1 enterprise e for evaluation.  You get it from the MSN site. It is limited to 90 days.