Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Initial Lag in Loading  (Read 3711 times)

chix0r

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Initial Lag in Loading
    « on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
    One day, I had an event occur where my gateway (router) mysteriously rebooted itself. Ever since then, when I try to access any website, it takes a very long time to connect. Once the initial page loads, I can click around to various parts of the website and they load quickly, but the initial connection to any address takes forever. Once I stop accessing the website for about 5 minutes and then go back to it, the lag returns. Even on a site to which I have already established a connection, images will often not load for a long time.

This only happens on my desktop. Other devices are not affected. Tablets, phones, and a laptop are all using the same gateway without any issues. I have conducted an internet speed test on the desktop, and it registers at 50 Mbps, which should be more than adequate. The same results occur on Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Windows' "troubleshoot problems" wizard returns no issues.

I have tried both a wired ethernet connection and a wireless connection to the gateway with the same results. I uninstalled my antivirus, but there was no change. I cannot do a system restore as this occurred on 12/10 and any restore points from that long ago are no longer available.

Update: I ran the "troubleshoot problems" wizard again and it returned the following message: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding." I went to the website for my ISP (Comcast) and I was able to reset the router from there (not a reset to where it changed the password or anything; it seemed more like just a restart), and the internet connection was super fast and perfect. I ran the "troubleshoot problems" wizard and it didn't pick up any problems.

After about 5 minutes, it started going slowly again, and now the "troubleshoot problems" wizard is returning the same message.

What can I do to fix this?
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:18:01 PM by chix0r »

chix0r

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Initial Lag in Loading
      « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
      I looked up the error message and tried a bunch of things that I found suggested. The one that seems to have helped was changing the DNS settings to a specific address instead of "automatic." I think it's more of a workaround than a fix, but it does seem to be working for now.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
      Have you tried a complete power cycle?

Does this happen in safe mode with networking?

Have you scanned for Virus/Malware/ECT?
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

chix0r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
        Yes, I did try a complete power cycle and scan for malware/viruses/etc. with Avira and Spybot.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »
        Yes, I did try a complete power cycle and scan for malware/viruses/etc. with Avira and Spybot.
        Including the modem/router and system.

What did you change the DNS to?
        "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

chix0r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
          Yes, including the gateway and system. I changed it to 208.67.222.222. Admittedly, I have no idea what that means. I just found it as a suggestion somewhere to fix that specific error message.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »
          208.67.222.222  should be the Preferred
          208.67.220.220  should be the Alternate

Have you tested Safe Mode W/Networking

chix0r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
            It seems to be getting worse again now. I tested safe mode with networking, and it wasn't lagging there.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
            I would strongly suggest that you follow the instruction in http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Start a thread here http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

Let them know as much information that you can provide and include a reference to this thread.  Lets make sure the system has a clean bill of health.

Rustys...

licoriceallsorts

Beginner

• More apple pie please
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:08 AM »
            thanks it worked

STEVEN123456

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:31:22 AM »
              Is there a way we can see a list of what we've Saved on the Gallery? That would make it a lot easier to find things again.