Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSOffice not responding when saving on mapped drive  (Read 3254 times)

Derude

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    MSOffice not responding when saving on mapped drive
    « on: January 09, 2015, 06:39:13 AM »
    Someone please help I’ve been having a issue lately with a mapped drive on our sever, what happens is that people have been reporting that ms word and ms excel have been not responding while accessing it through a mapped network drive connected to a 2008 server. Once they open it over the mapped drive the file continuously hangs and when they create a file locally and try and save it to the mapped drive it freezes with no response the second they try to save as. I’ve looked everywhere over the internet and have tried so much with no luck whatsoever, but I have discovered that the only way of fixing this issue temporarily is to create a shortcut on the desktop to the server’s files.. Besides that all I can do is reformat the PC and not even that permanently fixes it since the PC did the issue all over again.

What to know:
    -Word is still not responsive in safe mode
    -It only happened to 5 – 10 people on a network of 50 or so
    -It only happened on Windows 7 Professional
    -Running office 2007 professional and standard
    -Also happens on 2003
    -Mapped drive is connected to 2008 server
    -Anti virus is WebRoot Secure Anywhere
    -It happens on Pc’s that have not yet been updated (Windows and Office updates)
    -Creating shortcuts to drive on desktop fixes it
    -Fresh install fixes it (temporarily)
    -All other files work ex: JPEG,PDF…

What I’ve done so far:
    -Tried windows 2003 instead of 2007
    -Tried not installing Webroot after a fresh install
    -Disconected and reconnected mapped drive
    -removed all add-ins in word
    -Did a repair on word and on windows
    -Uninstalled word and re-installed it
    -Viewed logs and all it said is application did not respond and had no further details
    -Tried different drivers for the network Nic
    -Uninstalled Compatibility pack for office
    -Uninstalled
    -Made sure I tried updates Via internet and not only WSUS
    - Prevented word from validating by creating registry keys
    -disabled windows indexing on PC
    Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will try respond with as much detail as possible, anything will help. This problem has been driving me crazy and I need to find a solution fast.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MSOffice not responding when saving on mapped drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »
    How is your network health?

I had a similar issue with users using Office 2003 years ago with data on a 2003 Server. It was found that one of our 3COM switches was having issues. If you perform a persistent ping to the server and then try to open the file or save the file from a work station, do you have any network issues observed with the ping info. Long latency or lost packets etc?

I also had a similar issue with a site that we had a network bridge connection to from the main headquarters where we leased a copper pair from telco and used it to create a point to point DSL connection with up to 4.6mbps and it was dropping out at random intervals. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Patton-CopperLink-2157-short-haul-modem-4.6-Mbps/1783155.aspx

You stated:

-It only happened to 5 – 10 people on a network of 50 or so
    -It only happened on Windows 7 Professional

Are these systems by chance located in a certain area that all share a network switch where others do not communicate through the same switch etc?

Is there anyone being a bandwidth hog on corporate network causing latency and time outs?

With specific workstations is the problem happening all the time or at random?

Are there other users using Windows 7 Pro with no issues like this?

Derude

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »
      Hey Dave its been happening random, and there is no one being a network bandwidth hog there all fairly the same. The workstations that are experiencing the problem are scattered throughout the area. We have a total of 5 network closets and I've seen it happen at our main headquarters as well as two different areas that have network closets.

Derude

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:19 AM »
        And yes there are many people using windows 7 pro that aren't experiencing the issue

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:05:24 AM »
        One suggestion I have is that if all the work stations are all using the same image and systems are alike, swap the system that is frequently having this problem with one that isnt and monitor to see if the problem moves or remains.

If the problem moves then you know its something wrong with that specific workstation, if the problem remains then its something on the network side that is causing an issue for that specific location.

A more costly way to deal with this would be to set up network and workstation monitoring software and look for hiccups. But this is not very affordable for most, and in the past I have pretty much done pretty well diagnosing network problems by pinging from strategic locations and sending the information from the pings to a log file with date/time stamps to look at further. One affordable tool I did buy was Alert Ping Pro http://www.bestshareware.net/alert-ping.htm which allowed for me to be notified right when problems are detected by having it trigger a program I wrote and compiled as exe which would call me on my cell phone and play an audio track looped for pointing out where problem area is.

One last thing to check would be the event logs of the systems that have had this issue to see if there is anything there that points out any issues. as well as I had an accounting system once that had random issues that I thought was a bug with an accounting program, but it ended up being a 1GB RAM stick that was failing in the 628MB range according to memtest86, and all other programs were not memory hogs and so the system ran fine, but when the memory hog accounting program ran a bug like problem would pop up in regards to a function call. Swapping out the RAM stick after finding it was problematic fixed the issue with that HP SFF Business class workstation.

Derude

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
          Thanks for the pointers I will check that out for sure.