Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AT&T Broadband/Wireless Router reboots for no reason with no warning  (Read 2383 times)

funguy11

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    This has been an on/off problem for the past few months. Wireless router from AT&T works just fine but then reboots for no reason at random. All lights go out for a second, power light begins flashing, and router goes through normal boot process. It comes back up and works after about three minutes. During the reboot every device is kicked off the network including PC connected with wired connection and VoIP phone for the house. Has interfered with uploading videos to YouTube, online gaming, and one important/business related phone call. Problem usually happens once a week and at total random.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Here are 3 things that could cause this...

1.) ISP is performing firmware update that is forced to the router if this is a leased router.
    2.) Quick Power disruption such as a single quick dip in power that caused lights to flicker and trip up the modem/router.
    3.) Temperature Related overheating ... this is less likely because you stated only about once a week this happens.

If this is a leased modem/router, I'd request a replacement as the potential solution.

funguy11

Topic Starter

Beginner

The router is leased. Began to happen after I got a new office desk setup and installed the router and all my other PC components into it.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      As a leased modem/router, I'd request a replacement as the potential solution and see if that fixes the problem for you. Most ISP's have a no questions asked replacement plan if you request a replacement because it seems like its crashing like this.

funguy11

Topic Starter

Beginner

I have also noticed the hot time for this issue to occur is after quitting a browser. Would a browser be causing something to make this happen?