Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help putting together my first computer.  (Read 3711 times)

Axeoasis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I need help putting together my first computer.
    « on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:30 AM »
    So after getting 3 older computers free (at different times) i decided to take parts from all three and put it into the newest one. I'm a bit experienced using software, but i'm new to hardware. It's a E machines T3265 and it only had the motherboard, case (although missing the side panel), and SD card and port drive on the front (i'm sorry i don't know what it's called it just has support for a single usb and all these other SD card type things). While doing this, i've managed to get in a power supply, 2 dvd drives, a 500 GB hard drive, a (what i think is) graphics card, and i put in additional usb ports and internet ports from where the others computers had at the lower back of the computer. Here are the specs:

Case Model: T3265
    Power Supply: Dynex dx-ps350w (350 Watts) (From other computer)
    Mother Board: Av31 D33007 (came with case)
    Dvd drive 1: Samsung RW 32-10-40 AND (From other computer)
    Dvd drive 2: JustLink Rw5125A (From other computer)
    Graphics card: 3DF4MX-440TWIN (From other computer)

So here are my questions:

Is 350 watts too strong or too weak?
    Are all of these parts compatible?

Also, when i was connecting the front panel to the motherboard, i connected the power button LED and the HDD LED, but there is no actual button... i took a button from one of my other computers and it still didn't turn on. Is there supposed to be a different way to turn it on? Did i just connect it wrong? What am i doing wrong? The led in the button is working but there just isn't that clicking button part (The led is located in the exact center behind the button.

I'm wanting to spend as minimal money as possible until i can confirm that the computer will work.

If anybody could PLEASE help this newbie out i will be so thankful. I'm just wanting to use the computer for recreational uses. The factory OS on the original HDD was windows XP (although i am unsure what this new hard drive uses.)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    Glassy! Shiny!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I need help putting together my first computer.
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »
    Did any of these systems work somewhat before gutting and mixing parts? ( could you be mixing bad parts in this build? )

Not sure how you are going to get a 500GB Hard Drive to work with this board because it only has IDE ports, and I have yet to find a 500GB IDE drive. The 500 GB drive is likely SATA in which you would need to add a SATA controller and then configure the BIOS to boot off of the SATA HDD which in some BIOS's can be a nightmare if lacking the necessary features to do so.

Here is a picture reference I used for your board in which there is no SATA port. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIC-VG31-d33007-Motherboard-Socket-478-W-P4-Processor-HP-P-N-5187-2528-/271869979077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4cb6a9c5

Common reasons for not turning on from most common to less common for a new or mix and match gutted build:

1.) Wired Wrong ( the front panel wiring doesnt match up correctly with the PWR SW on the motherboard, and so the motherboard doesnt get the start signal of a temp closed connection )
    2.) 4 pin molex connection not plugged in by the CPU
    3.) Power supply not plugged into motherboard
    4.) Rocker switch on back of power supply not turned on
    5.) No actual power making its way to power supply such as plugged into power strip or bad outlet
    6.) Bad Power Supply
    7.) Bad Motherboard

Note: The 4 pin molex being forgotten is a common problem and critical to system functionality. Is everything plugged in where it belongs and proper pin location for the front panel wiring? You can locate the Power Switch pins and temp short them with a paperclip without touching any other pins or components at same time to bypass the power switch on the front panel to see if it will boot.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
    Well, first of all that power supply is an extremely low end, cheap unit which could certainly be what causes the problem - Even if it isn't, I'd advise against using it.

You haven't specified what processor or RAM you have but from the motherboard and video card I would be amazed if this machine was remotely fast enough to even do stuff like web browsing at a comfortable speed.  It's an extremely old machine, not worth spending any money on IMO.  You could get a much better machine for under $50 or even find one for free.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
    The PSU should be sufficient to at least confirm it can boot. If you are ever able to do so, you should replace it with something else.  Though based on your post it sounds like it was the best option out of the PSUs in the different systems.

Looking up the eMachines system info, I get this motherboard:

It looks like  Socket A motherboard to me. It doesn't have any CPU power connection that I can see so that concern is not present. Thing is, the motherboard model doesn't match, so it was probably replaced, particularly since tis picture doesn't match the ones I find for the motherboard model listed, which appears to come from an HP.

In addition to the notes Dave provided-

-You only need one network card. It sounds like you grabbed as many expansion cards from the other systems and crammed them in. It might work, but it is incredibly pointless and will saturate the PCI bus. Personally I'd remove all of the added cards except for the graphics card, then add them back once you can get it powered on. You generally should start with as little as possible, then add components. You might even try only powering up the motherboard with no graphics card connected- the motherboard should give you a series of beeps indicating it couldn't find the graphics card once it powers on.

-Did you plug in the main 20-Pin power connector from the power supply to the Motherboard? Make sure that is in place. If the board is the one Dave pointed out, then you need to connect one of the molex connectors to the connector portrayed in the lower-right side of the picture.

-you mention a power switch as having a light. But you also state there is no power switch. I'm unclear what you mean. The Power-Switch is a separate front panel connector which in Dave's picture of the motherboard would likely be the set of pins in the lower right, to the left of the Molex connector myself and save pointed out. usually it will be labelled with silk-screen nearby; you'll want to connect the power switch front-panel connector to the one labelled "PWR_SW".

-The Power supply might not work at all.

Not sure how you are going to get a 500GB Hard Drive to work with this board because it only has IDE ports, and I have yet to find a 500GB IDE drive. The 500 GB drive is likely SATA in which you would need to add a SATA controller and then configure the BIOS to boot off of the SATA HDD which in some BIOS's can be a nightmare if lacking the necessary features to do so.
    I have a 500GB IDE drive- WD5000AAJB, WD Caviar SE. I see a 500GB IDE drives by searching Amazon for "ATA-133". They are definitely harder to find new. From the sounds if it, the HDD was salvaged from one of the other systems and I suspect it might be old enough to also be PATA.

I think the bigger concern is that even if the HDD is IDE, and does connect to the system, the XP Install on it will be for the other system, and probably won't boot without a repair install, which typically requires an XP CD which from the sounds of it the OP does not have.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Axeoasis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
      Sorry i didn't reply before. i was suddently banned for spam! it was my first post  :(

- The power switch is completely missing. The only cords coming from the front panel are from the HDD light and the Power button LED light (Not the actual button).

- the mother boards you guys are finding look like the right model.

- When it comes to the parts these were all just parts from the other PC's (Not ones that i had bought). I am not sure if all parts are working but i am planning to test them.

- the power strip could be bad now that you mention it. it is scrapped on it's side.

- The power light does turn on in the front panel when the machine is plugged in.

- I plugged in all power supply connectors as possible (including the 20 pin).

- The hard drive is indeed PATA.

- yes BC_Programmer i did cram as much as i could into the pc. i'll be sure to take the extra parts out like you suggested.
      Glassy! Shiny!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
      You weren't banned...the SPAM post was removed.

patio.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Axeoasis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:17 AM »
        Spam post?
        Glassy! Shiny!