Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No internet connection  (Read 2390 times)

Flobo54

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    No internet connection
    « on: August 03, 2015, 06:06:15 AM »
    I have a pc, laptop and iPad on a home wifi network.  Out of the blue the pc will not connect to the internet but the laptop and ipad are fine.  I have tried connecting the pc both wirelessly and wired but the result is the same ( I have tried two different cables).  It connects to the network but the connection status shows 'no internet access'.  I have contacted my internet provider who confirm that there is no problem with my fibre connection.  Is there anything that I can try to fix this problem before I pay an expert or start to think about a new pc?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No internet connection
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
    Boot up computer and get to command shell/prompt by typing cmd at start run.

In command shell type IPCONFIG/ALL and report back your results. If you see a 169.x.x.x or 0.0.0.0 then try IPCONFIG/RELEASE and then IPCONFIG/RENEW and then perform IPCONFIG/ALL again and see if you have a valid IP address now.

If the IP doesnt change then go into the network properties for the network adapter and make sure it has a checked box for dynamic IP address and not set to static. If you change to dynamic from another setting then , apply, and then perform an IPCONFIG/Release and IPCONFIG/RENEW at command shell. You can also try a IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS if you can ping to www.google.com and see successful pings but browser doesnt get to websites correctly.

Flobo54

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »
      Thank you for your reply. I have applied the config release and renew but it hasn't resolved the problem.  I am not quite sure what you mean by going to the network properties for the network adapter.  I haven't been able to find any setting for dynamic IP address.  Can you tell me exactly how to do this please?  I feel that I am very close to fixing this with your help. :)

Flobo54

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:09 AM »
        I'm afraid that my knowledge is limited in the area of IP addresses.  Now I'm not sure if this is my problem because my cmd window is showing an IPv6 address.  When I try to renew the address I get the message "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out.
        I tried again and got the same result.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
        When I try to renew the address I get the message "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out.
        I tried again and got the same result.

Sorry for delay getting back to you on this... this message states that there is no physical connection to Wireless Network.

Please try this with wired connection as for Wireless connectivity can be a variety of problems and a cable connection is more reliable for testing.