Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to monitor a public network?  (Read 2310 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

how to monitor a public network?
    « on: August 30, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »
    Hello,

Firstly, I am a noob when it comes to networking and its tricks so please be as simple as possible :).

My question is how can I monitor the bandwidth used by each computer connected to a public network(such as a dorm) so I could see which computer is using the most bandwidth? Is this possible to do from any computer connected to the same network?

I googled 'network monitoring tools' and I came up with scrutinizer and PRTG but they seem too complicated plus the IP they are showing when they start up is 127.0.0.1 and I do not know how to use them? are there any simpler tools as I only want to see who is using the most bandwidth?

THanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how to monitor a public network?
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
    If your system admin for the network there are many tools out there to do this at a cost, however if its pure curiosity of what others are using on the network, the closest you could probably get would be using the saved dump file from Wireshark with a custom program that can size up each IP's data use and data contained in the packets sniffed out.

Are you system admin of this network?