Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is my estimated usage on wifi increasing by 1-3 mpbs per second.  (Read 2752 times)

Eshlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,

This meter on the attachment increases by 0.1 to 0.3 mpbs per second even though I do not have any high usage background apps and am not attempting to download anything. Even if I leave the laptop idle, it continues to increase.

I do not know what the problem is. I am a University student. I am just concerned that when I leave University to go home in a few days it may kill the internet bandwidth. I have 10 gb at home.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:28:51 AM by Eshlin »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Why is my estimated usage on wifi increasing by 1-3 mpbs per second.
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
    Best test would be to bring it to a different wifi network other than the school and see if you still receive the same Traffic. Additionally be sure you have latest AV and its clean after scan. Lots of games come with torrent services that will download patches and info behind the scenes... I have doubts that this is the cause because .1 to .3 mbps is a trickle and I would expect more bandwidth consumption, however if the school has certain ports throttled then you could see .1 to .3 mbps received/download speed. Additionally if lots of people are on the internet and they are congested this could even be a microsoft update  squeezing its way through limited bandwidth out to the web and looking like its only .1 to .3mbps that if connected to a network without the throttling or bandwidth congestion it could soar to 2mbps or greater from the .1 to .3mbps trickle.