Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need for Speed 5 Porsche 2000 Unleashed: no resolutions available and Dx7 error  (Read 15590 times)

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Everything happens for a reason
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
When I bought my AMD R7 240 4GB, I firstly installed Windows 7. The first game that I installed was NFS 5 Porsche. I launched it and when I went to maximize the settings, I saw that there were no resolutions available in the "Screen Size" list. I went furhter, maximized everything and when I launched a race, before the Loading screen to appear, it gave me an DX7 error. The same applies to Vista. XP is a bit different here, it has the 640x480 resolution, but it's the only one available. I was able to play this game on: GeForce MX4000, Intel Chipset 945 Graphics, Intel HD Graphics from Pentium B950 (but it wasn't able to display correctly the Speedometers in the car and the Number Board on the back of the car and the front), Intel HD Graphics from Intel Pentium G i-don't-remember-the-number 2.9 GHz (but having the same problem as the B950 one) and GeForce GT630 (but having the same problem as the Pentiums + repedeatly pressing the horn when horning and repedeatly animating the "changing gears" when... changing gears). This is the first graphics card that can't play the game, only on XP.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed is designed for Windows 98. It also has some limited compatibility with newer hardware. In particular, like some of the other EA Racing games from around that time, It is necessary to run "3dSetup" in order for it to effectively save some information into the registry, such that you can select your hardware device. Otherwise, it defaults to the Software Renderer.

It's harder to get running than Need For Speed:High Stakes, but  like NFS:HS there are patches that can be installed. You can find the "Essentials Pack" here. Which patches most issues running the game on modern systems.

I've got it running on this system- Core i7 4770K @ 3.5Ghz and a GTX 770, at 1920x1080 resolution without any major problems, Using an X-Input controller.

Only issues are that it seems to eventually crash (I think I got 4-5 races in or thereabouts) but the progress is saved- and I have to use 1920x1080, even though it does provide the option for my full resolution of 2560x1440.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
I tried that already. It gives me this error or something like this: "Graphics hardware could not be initialized." when launching the game. The system is AMD not Intel and nVidia.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Graphics hardware could not be initialized

Did you install the R9's Graphics Card's Drivers, as well as DirectX 9.0c?

Intel/AMD/NVidia/etc. doesn't really matter. It also works fine on my AMD 5350 with integrated R3 system running Windows 10, once all the proper software is installed and compatibility settings assigned.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
R7 :)
Of course I installed the drivers. I have DirectX 11 installed.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Oh, and I have problems with NFSHP2 too. When I launch a race, I hear a high noise from my speakers and the Loading progress never moves.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
R7 :)
I have DirectX 11 installed.

If you didn't install DirectX 9.0c, you should do so. DirectX 10/11/etc. are not cumulative, so the games are likely using an install of DX7.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
But there are games and programs that need DirectX 11. If I install DirectX 9.0c will it downgrade to that version or just add more files?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
But there are games and programs that need DirectX 11. If I install DirectX 9.0c will it downgrade to that version or just add more files?

No, they are separate.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Can you give me a link? I don't seem to find it anywhere.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Well, when I put the Essentials pack on Vista it can launch the game, but the same Dx7 error. With the Dx9.0c Pack installed, I still get the Dx7 error.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Oh, and I tried the 3D setup,but it made no difference. i I think we should try this on XP SP3. I'll tell you the results.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Only 640x480x16 is available with all the fixes that you gave me and I found-0.