Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't find wireless connection  (Read 2317 times)

Roxanne99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    can't find wireless connection
    « on: February 06, 2016, 04:25:53 AM »
    I was running a AVG scan on my HP laptop when the power went out.  When I got it back on my computer would not boot up properly so I found a place to restore it to original state.  Then I could not get on the Internet unless I put the Ethernet cord in computer.  I had wireless connection before and wireless is working everywhere else in the house.  How do I find out if my wireless card is working or not?  It does not automatically find area connections anymore where it used to list my neighbors in the area.  I have a Westell router model 7500 and my computer is the only thing affected in the house. 
    I had updated my computer to Windows 10 and when it got restored to factory default it is now Windows 8.1.  Don't know if this matters or not.
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:36:55 AM by Roxanne99 »

KandoNYC

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: can't find wireless connection
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
      check device manager to see if the wireless card is working
      go to the manufacturer's support site and download the latest wifi drivers
      check if there is a function key that turns the wifi on and off
      check if there is a hardware switch that turns the wifi on and off

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: can't find wireless connection
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »
      What kind of wireless device is this ? ?
      Reason i ask is if it wasn't onboard on the PC and it's let's say a USB dongle then it's drivers were wiped out after the restore...
      So if external device simply re-install the drivers for the unit and set up a new wirelless connection...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "