Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choosing a VPN or PIA  (Read 5413 times)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Choosing a VPN or PIA
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
In any case I wouldn't recommend or use any "VPN service", you are routing your traffic through some random person/company's network with no idea how secure it is.  This both slows your connection down and arguably makes it less secure.

Just my opinion.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
    Alot of them give you full details of the programs and free trials.Going online in my opinion is a bad choice.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 02:15:41 AM »
    Someone please pass the popcorn...

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
      Would like that with butter and a Coke? ::)
      From what Ive read many people use VPN`s or PIA`s  you get added features like being unable to unlock web sites,security online and others.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
      As far as unlocking websites go, then yes, a VPN can get around country restrictions, although this is legally a grey area.  As far as the "improved security", a lot of this is claimed in marketing materials to encourage people to buy the services.

To be clear, a VPN will encrypt the traffic and send it from your PC to the VPN provider where it is decrypted and forwarded on to the internet.  The key thing here is that the VPN provider gets the unencrypted version of the traffic so you are putting a lot of trust in them - This is why I would never use a "VPN service" myself (I run my own VPN server on server I control) although others are more than welcome to.

Apart from trying to hide your identity from external websites, the only legitimate use I can think of for such a VPN is if you are browsing on an untrusted public network such as free WiFi available in public places.

At any rate, these services are only designed for short term use such as when on a public WiFi network, they are not designed for or required for use all the time on your home connection.  When you are connected to the VPN, all of your traffic is sent to the single VPN server rather than being sent out through several extremely high capacity links from your ISP directly to the destination. As a result, your connection through the VPN will likely be slower and have higher latency than if you are connecting out to the internet directly.

In your situation, all you will get from using a VPN service is a slower connection, less money in your bank account and an illusion of "privacy".

If someone is truly on your network maliciously (which I'm convinced isn't the case) then you have much bigger things to be worrying about than encrypting your outgoing internet traffic.
      « Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:24:28 AM by camerongray »

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
        "(I run my own VPN server on server I control) "

So you have a sever machine and how are you running YPN on your own server?

Lesadx

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »
          I use WItopia which I have found to be reliable and excellent quality.
          [https://www.witopia.net]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »
          Here is a download for Angry IP scanner
          https://sourceforge.net/projects/ipscan/
          Many people like it, but it is a weak program.
          The program is ok, but the installer also gets me many unwanted applications. My screen got covered with a constant cascade of popup windows. It was a pain in the a__.  I think I managed to get rid of all of them, and hope that there are no leftovers. Making such an installer is very unpolite.
          Posted 01/26/2015
          In these days when, for security sake, you really don't want java on your computer, you should know that this app is written in java. Since I don't want java on my computer, it would not work for me.
          Posted 12/26/2015
          Better programs are available.