Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to vpn?  (Read 2509 times)

chene209

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    how to vpn?
    « on: July 03, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
    i was wondering how would i vpn from android tablet(straight talk service) to my home router? i want to view ip camera outside of network.my router is archer c5

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how to vpn?
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
    I dont know of a secured direct VPN connection method between tablet and the ip camera. IP Camera alone with router config would only give you port forwarding which is not secure. Maybe this Archer C5 is ok alone without a computer for authentication of the VPN if it has a secure VPN feature that doesnt require a computer at the other end to handle the VPN authentication, but I would suggest a computer in the home used for VPN tunnel to the tablet and ip camera access through this computer, and the computer in the home deals with the insecure IP Camera data so the IP Camera is not able to be port probed and found by a hacker as for the port forward only method would show it as able to be communicated with by a hacker. All IP Camera's I know of have no authentication protocol and its a matter of just having the correct driver/software to interface with the camera and IP to connect to and your on. Do you have a computer at home you can leave running that you can VPN tunnel to from your tablet and access it this way instead?

Here are directions for VPN from your Router manufacturer TP-LINK off of google for the Archer C5
    http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/VPN_Config_Guide.pdf

Only webcam stuff I have dealt with was while away on a business trip for 3 weeks and I wanted to be able to watch and check on some pets of mine that were confined to a 40 gallon tank. I connected a USB webcam to my computer and had it pointed at the tank and then created a port forward for RDP in my router, but changed the port to be something other than 3389 so that a hacker port probing wouldnt be able to say ... " Oh port 3389 thats the default RDP port" and then hit it with intent to try to crack RDP. It worked for the 3 weeks I was away and system didnt get hacked and I was able to check on my pets and call home and suggest cleaning or feeding them etc. A VPN connection is far more secure than just a open port for forwarding and relying on the security of the computers firewall and authentication protocol. But I didnt set up a VPN for this.

One friend at work pays for a service to have his webcams in his home able to be accessed from anywhere. He logs into an app and is able to select which camera and look and see live streaming from his IP cameras, but this comes at a monthly cost which i think he said he was paying $30 a month for this. He has this because he has to work and leave his 90 year old mother at home and he worries about her and so he can check on her and call 911 if he ever had to remotely. Im thinking his cameras connect to a computer in his home and then there is a service running on that computer that connects securely to the service he is paying for in which its all encrypted connection etc.

Sorry i cant give you a step by step on this, but hopefully a nudge in the right direction with this with the manual to the router maybe as well as suggestion to VPN between tablet and a home computer vs direct to IP Camera for extra security, as well as I am unsure if you can connect direct VPN tunnel to the IP Camera like you stated or not. If the router itself has an authentication protocol in the VPN setup to authenticate the VPN Tunnel then you can do this without a computer in the home, but if the router has basic VPN configuration settings then you might need a computer to handle the authentication of the VPN Tunnel.  :-\