Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot create a Lan connection in vista,NIC card not working  (Read 2541 times)

tech1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    I need all the help I can get here.I have windows Vista and I can't make a simple lan connection.there are no settings to make a lan connection.vista will only allow me to make a Broadband /DSL connection.second I replaced my Ethernet card because the old NIC which is married to the motherboard quit working.I replaced it with a realtek RTL8168/8111.I checked device manager and it says "this device cannot start"code 10.Also the nic card says "Realtek rtl8168/8111 family PCI-E gigabit Failed.I have two problems as stated above.I'm asking for your help because I could not find answers in the forum.Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge..tech1126

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot create a Lan connection in vista,NIC card not working
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »
    You said:
    Broadband /DSL connection
    So is that not good enough?  Is that connection made by some telecom link  either Ethernet or Wi-Fi? I will assume it is a 3G type connection similar too a smartphone data connection.
    You need the Ethernet LAN to allow other devices in your home or office, such as a iPad or printer?

If you have n Internet connection, you need to get the right Retek drives.
    I Google for:
    realtek rtl8168 and 8111 family pci-e gigabit ethernet driver
    And find:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    Click on Global on the line that has the Vista driver.
    You will need to install this on your  Vista computer.

My experience with Realtek is that you have to use the install program they offer. Windows itself somehow can not install the driver.  :(
    It is a ZIP file.  You have to extract  all  before you can run it. Look in the README folder after you extract all.
    Let use know if that works for you. If not, there may be another way.  :)

tech1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Cannot create a Lan connection in vista,NIC card not working
      « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 04:13:12 PM »
      Hey folks i figured out my problem with the Realtek/Network card not working and the fix was downloading the DRIVER..hellooo!
      Its working wonderfully and i now can create a simple Lan Connection..