Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which router should i buy ?  (Read 3524 times)

theankitsharma7

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Which router should i buy ?
    « on: August 04, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
    I have a BSNL (A government owned broadband Company ) FTTH (fiber to the home) broadband connection , I have a Modem :- "Huawei echolife HG850a GPON terminal with 4 ehernet ports and 2 voice port "

I want to purchase a router according to this modem and my FTTH connection . Please suggest me some good router .

price : up to 1000-2000 INR or 15 -30 USD
    please keep in mind that i want a router with good range under this price tag :)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Which router should i buy ?
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
    Your request is not very clear.
    You  already have the fastest connection possible.
    What are  you lacking?

EDIT:  Are you thinking about Wi-Fi? If you want speed, you get the best speed using gigabit Ethernet, not  wireless.
    1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for Gigabit Ethernet over copper wiring. Each 1000BASE-T network segment can be a maximum length of 100 meters (330 feet), and must use Category 5 cable or better (including Cat 5e and Cat 6).
    Gigabit Wi-Fi can not match this range unless you employ special antennas, which may defeat the purpose of Wi-Fi.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/gigabit-wi-fi-802-11ac-is-here-five-things-you-need-to-know/
    To extend the range of a fiber system, you use more  fiber.

theankitsharma7

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
      I want to connect a router with my modam /PC by which I can connect my other wireless devices to the internet :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »
      Any current home wireless router will provide normal Wi-Fi service. But he speed may only be 54 mega bits per second.  Some routers go for over $150, but it is hard to justify the extra cost. Some very good routers are under $100.

I have used Net gear, Linksys and D-link routers. They are work as advertised. ome can do up to 150 Mbps. You might want to look into the gigabit wireless units, but the range is limited. Here is a Netgear for about $80 and claims to be a gigabit router. I have been happy with my Netgear router similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router-WNDR4300/dp/B008HO9DK4/ref=sr_1_1

revithasree

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
        I know there is good Cisco router which work very well. This is Cheaper model and give strong signal. It Cisco871w-g-a-k9. And cisco routers never fails.
        http://www.routersale.com/cisco-router/buy-sell/used-new-cisco871w-g-a-k9-price-toronto-canada
        « Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:59:21 PM by revithasree »

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
        Given the connection is fibre to the premises, I imagine it's pretty fast, therefore I would get something with Gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac wireless so you can take full advantage of it.  I can't suggest any in particular but stick to reputable, popular brands.

I know there is good Cisco router which work very well. This is Cheaper model and give strong signal. It Cisco871w-g-a-k9. And cisco routers never fails.
        http://www.routersale.com/cisco-router/buy-sell/used-new-cisco871w-g-a-k9-price-toronto-canada

A 54mbps wireless G router with 10/100 ethernet for a fibre to the premises connection?