Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop PC won't connect to Wifi...  (Read 2589 times)

betadead86

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Desktop PC won't connect to Wifi...
    « on: November 29, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
    Hello,
    I've just gotten a new ISP (honestly, it's the same provider but with a different router and ip address with the bill being in a different name) and while all other devices I own are able to get a connection just fine, my desktop pc is unable to for some reason. I own an HP p6813w with Windows 7 Premium and a Roswell RNX-N600UBE usb wifi adapter and after automatically recognizing and connecting to the proper SSID, a yellow icon appears over the internet tab saying "unidentified network no internet access" and when I use Internet Explorer a page saying "Your not connected to a network" appears.

I know this has something to do with my Network and Sharing Center settings, but I'm not sure what.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Desktop PC won't connect to Wifi...
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
    You said...
    h... all other devices I own are able to get a connection just fine, my desktop PC is unable to for some reason. I own an HP p6813w with Windows 7 Premium

So do you get a connection using the Ethernet cable?

About the fancy adapter. Does it work on any other computer?
     Is it new?  Old? My gussies that it never worked. **

** negative reviews from users and the product has been discontinued.
    « Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:59:05 PM by Geek-9pm »

betadead86

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
      I haven't tried an ethernet connection yet but will do as I would either have to carry the PC from the 2nd floor to the living room where the router is located or get a ridiculously long ethernet cord.

The adapter was purchased  brand new a year ago and I did try it on a laptop and worked perfectly. I also tried re-installing the software for it on my desktop but to no avail which is why I'm sure it has to do with the Network & Sharing settings.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
      If you have a smartphone with a WI-fi hot sport, you have a tool you can used to test the adapter.

Really, an extremely long Ethernet cable is a good thing to have in your tool box. Standard Ethernet cable can run 100 meters, 328 feet, and still work good. Handy way to troubleshoot Wi-fi issues.

If you need a good cheap Wi-Fi adapter, most of  the cheap things now on line will work well. See Amazon, Best Buy r Newegg. Or even Walmart.
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/150Mbps-Wireless-USB-WiFi-Adapter-Network-Dongle-802-11b-g-n-LAN-Card-w-Antenna/139609585
      For $8, it is cheaper that buying a long Ethernet cable.   ;D

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
      The adapter was purchased  brand new a year ago and I did try it on a laptop and worked perfectly.
      Are you sure the wireless connection with your laptop was using your WiFi adapter?  Could the laptop have been connecting via its built-in WiFi adapter?