Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DHCP server not assigning IPs  (Read 2529 times)

kokowang5699

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    DHCP server not assigning IPs
    « on: December 24, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »
    About every day or 2, the DHCP server on my TP-link C3200 would stop issuing IP addresses. The router did not log any connection requests during the time when I couldn't connect to the router. Restarting the router fixes it but I run a few servers on my desktop and I can't have it needing to go offline every day or 2.
    The last issued IP was 192.168.1.114, everything below was taken, lease time was set for 1 day and there were 86 open IPs available on the DHCP server.
    (Note: Everything else still works, the devices that are connected stay connected until the lease expires, they just can't reconnect and new devices can't connect until I restart the router).

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DHCP server not assigning IPs
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »
    Is there a flash update available for that router that might fix this? 

Additionally, my experience with that brand hasnt been good. I have a TP-Link router that has a bridge mode that doesnt like to keep working with my D-Link router. Signal strengths are really good point to point for the bridge but i get packet loss. I moved to a different channel even and still same issue. I bought a Netgear Wireless Bridge and the problem was solved.

I'd say that if there is no firmware flash available for it, you should check into getting a new router.

In the meantime I would set the servers and any critical systems to static IP's in say the scope of .200 to .254, shorten your DHCP pool to .2 thru .199 and this way systems that are critical will keep working until this router can be swapped out as for there is no lease to expire with static IPs.