Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ARM, x86 and Windows: CMET  (Read 1824 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
ARM, x86 and Windows: CMET
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »
This is not really new materiel, so I put it here.
You should already know Windows will someday run on a kind of ARM x86 emulation. But Microsoft says not yet. It will have to be a better, new ARM design.
That has been already posted.
Now, CNET has just published  this:
5 reasons why Windows on ARM could change computing -- and 3 reasons it won't
Here is a notable quote:
It was actually quite the scandal back in 2012, when Microsoft tried to sell the first Microsoft Surface RT tablet with a stripped-down version of Windows -- Windows RT -- instead of the real thing. Microsoft lost nearly a billion dollars when the Surface RT didn't sell, and nearly $8 billion more when it had to write off all its Nokia phones.
So what is different how? It is not the same ARM CPU they used before. That is what is different.  But will it fly?    ::)

The article also says:
...  Android and Apple are your only viable options for a smartphone, but that could change. Windows phones -- ones that support all the traditional Windows apps, anyhow -- might be attractive enough to pose a real alternative.
I am holding my breath.    :-[
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:17:37 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: ARM, x86 and Windows: CMET
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:19:23 AM »
Microsoft dropped the ball and is late to the phone and tablet market... Android to me just seems way too cheap to add to devices and there are millions of apps for Android.

What Microsoft would need would be something that can only run on their OS, protected from others from making a similar in demand useful product, and something that will leverage people to have to buy a device with their OS on it to have their product.

One thing that might work is if they made an ARM based Windows OS that was free or low cost, and then make up the money in selling apps, but I wouldnt invest in such a risky investment like this. The market is pretty well saturated with Android and free and other low cost apps.

At this point I see them having a Windows product for ARM processors is just to play along side the big boys in the tablet/smart phone market and not feel left out of it.  ;D