Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Documenting Hardware/systems  (Read 1832 times)

Longnius

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Documenting Hardware/systems
    « on: January 01, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
    Hello all,

I have started an IT job for my college and been tasked with documenting Hardware/Systems in a certain department. I am seeking any advice on any templates or specifics to document. I really only think of the basics like a PC to document the hardware (internal specs of a pc and monitor, keyboard, etc) and the software side (OS, applications (their current version) and licenses). If anyone has any advice or would be kind enough to explain any details or steps that I should take prior to or after, I would love to learn and take in any and all information I can!

Thank you for any help as it is greatly appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Documenting Hardware/systems
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
    First steo isto identify the make and model o each bit of hardwareandsoftware in use.
    Often the vendors and distriutors have aditional materail hat can help clealry identify what yuo have.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Documenting Hardware/systems
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
    There are auditing tools out there that can be used to gather information, but it depends on if the college will allow you to run a 3rd party tool on the systems to gather this info or not.

Back when I was in college years ago I was directed to Sisoft Sandra which gathered all sorts of info on systems. There are others out there too that audit and list info.

If your not allowed to run any audit programs on systems then its a bunch of manual research.