Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Lost My Game To Tabbed Windows  (Read 2335 times)

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Don't feel bad...I'm lost too.
    I Lost My Game To Tabbed Windows
    « on: January 02, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
    Happy New Year Gamers...

Everyone, have I lost my game forever?  I had an online game open and while open I inadvertently opened up my History and clicked on something in there which replaced what was in the opened window. Apparently Chrome will not allow you to open the History and use it while a window is opened without replacing that opened window. So now, my "The 7th Saga" game (which was at Lv 72) has been eaten up to the point that I can't even get back to my game from my favorites.Without starting the entire game over.

Can I get my game back and at the point I was when I opened the History window?

Thank you guys and dolls... :(
    If you say, "I can", you're right. If you say, "I can't", you're also right.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I Lost My Game To Tabbed Windows
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:34:24 AM »
    Online Games usually have a server that you authenticate with and once logged on the information from a server populates a flash session or dynamic HTML session. If this game is one of those games that every time you start the game you start from scratch then thats just the nature of the game by design. However a game that has levels and based on its title I would think that if you go back to that website where the game is hosted and logon to the website, it should have your information there so that upon logging on and maybe having to select what Realm or Server your connecting to you can get back to where you were at level 72.

What I have seen some people do is wipe out history and passwords and after not using their passwords for a long time they forget them. So now when the password is no longer stored in the system and password is unknown they are locked out of the game. This requires them to use a Forgot My Password tool on the website and then you have to supply the user name or e-mail address that was used to register the game and then they will e-mail you a password reset to follow a link and change password ect.

Other mistake some people do is that they forget what realm or server they connect to. So after the logon to the website you need to select the correct server. If the incorrect server is selected you will start from scratch at level 1. This is because your game is on a different server. You then have to log out and logon and select a different realm or server until you find the one that your level 72 is at. Maybe this is the problem your running into.

Additionally lots of the games like this have support for pass through FaceBook authentication and so it might be possible to link your Facebook to the game account as well, however this may assume you under a different identity than that of the account you already have with them, so sometimes it doesnt work after the fact to link a Facebook authentication to a game. * Note: I personally avoid this Facebook authentication method for games. I prefer each and every website to have its own username/password associated with them to avoid getting hacked.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
    The 7th Saga was a Super Nintendo game, so best I can figure is you were using one of the online emulation sites which emulates the system to play the game for you.

In which case the answer is probably no.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
      Hi, and thank you for your efforts. Yes the game is online at OldGamz in the SNES forums. Thsite allows for you to save after each hit each kill or each level as many times as you wish. It also has reset options. So it is not a restart with each login, no. A login will last until you clear your cookies. then you must login again and your game begins from your last save, even if in the middle of a battle.

What happened yesterday, I have no idea, except to say it occurred when I had the game opened and I went into my History and clicked a site , that page replaced my game. As soon as i saw that I used the back button in the browser bar/row to go back to my game page. It did however, the info on my game was lost. Lost not only in that window. but also in my favorites/bookmarks. I always thought that was sacred. No matter what you could always go to favorites to restore your saved info. And this was saved info believe me. I save after each it sometimes.

I really want to know exactly what might have happened to devour my info.

I did contact the site about retrieving my game at the level lost , however, they said they cannot do that. Admonished me about backups. The problem was the Chrome tabbed browser which AOL Techs can never find in the programs. I was told Firefox was going to be installed as my Default browser. The tech said it isn't. But AOL overwrites whatever they want and make it so you can't undo it. their techs have never been able to undo Chrome browser cause they've never found the program. 

My options now seem to be either drop the game where I was playing with a group or to restart the entire game when i was 8 levels from maxing out a very tough grinding game.

Btw, I did logout of that site and re-login. I restarted my computer also, and nothing. The save is just vanished into air. Darnit!

Thank you guys, I appreciate it.  :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
      I took a look.

Your "favourites" in the browser or otherwise don't save any game data whatsoever. All save data looks like it is stored locally; when you hover over the Flash Player there are options in a toolbar that allow saving and loading State, which basically takes a snapshot of the entire game state and saves it to a file, and allows you to load it later. It never loaded any save info automatically for me.

The save data that is part of the game itself- that is, that would be saved on the Super NES Cartridge- seems to work, however the game only allowed you to save in Inns. Since you said you saved after "every battle" it sounds like that isn't what you used. But the Save States I described- where you explicitly select a destination file or a file to load, don't sound like what you've used to "save" either.

I suspect that perhaps registered users get some kind of automatic feature. Either way the data would be stored locally on your computer, if anywhere. It looks like the default format is files with "gs0" extensions where 0 can be any number up through 9. You might want to use a search tool to search your hard disk for those files as you may find something.

Another thought is, Have you left that Tab open the entire time? If you click on a Favourite in Chrome and you already have a tab open to it, it will merely switch to that tab.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
        Hi PC_P, thank you for the interest. It's appreciated.

So that site does allow you to enter Inns to save your progress but that is for the purpose of, shall we say warping from town to town. As you were in the site and loaded a game I'm sure you noticed underneath it about 7 icons... these control game play. The "Cloud" is the icon that allows you entry to the Save and Continue Progress of a game. So yes, you can save your game play as often as you like and end the game as I mentioned, in the middle of a battle if you wish, come back in a year and pick up right there.

My thing is, that game is still in my Favorites, however it has been wiped clean of my data/info.  That has never happened before and I have no idea why it happened this time. As for the tabbing of windows. When the ISP introduced that version the tabs were in one window. But versions later the new window simply replaces the one that was opened. And today when I was on with a tech it opened in individual windows.  So that if I had a game opened, and went into browser history, it opened another page so there were two pages open. But again, that just happened starting today. *shakes head*

To be honest I don't even know what browser my comp uses. Lenovo tech said he was going to replace "Edge" with "Firefox" and make it my default. However, when I use the "What browser am I using search," It says Chrome.  My System Information shows it is Chromium. Today he said you can't be using that because you have the AOL Desktop as your browser. All I know is I see remnants every time I close programs or pages or anything, a tracers closes like there was more than one browser working.

When I'm over my disgust I will probably begin a new game of The 7th Saga. :(  Sorry if this is muddled. I'm just stunned about this thing. And i worry about the next time.

Thank you again... enjoy your evening.

No, I'm not comp savvy, what I know can fit into a thimble.I cannot on my own search for the answer to this dilemma. 

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
          Hi CHers, I hope your day is going well.

I think there may be one more thing I can try. As I was thinking about Sunday and what was going on around the time of the lost file/page, it occurred to me something else happened.  I remembered accidentally punching the "DELETE KEY" and I think I hit it two or three times. I was trying to hit the "ENTER KEY" and hit DELETE by mistake. So if I did delete the files, is there a way for a novice like to me recover it?

I shouldn't even be asking that because as I recall, the last time I tried to recover something I ended up buying this comp because I wiped my OS off the other one. I will contact a tech later to request a remote of my comp and let them do the work. For the safety of my girl her. However, what do you guys and gals think, could that be what happened? If so, is there a shot I can get my saved game back?

Thanks... 

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
          Friend of mine used the free version and was able to get a file back. Biggest thing is that you have better odds getting a file back soon after its deleted as for the minute the hard drive flags that file as deleted its space that it is consuming can be overwritten with new data. When part of all of the file is overwritten then its lost for good.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Just ran it on my system to try it out. And you just need to uncheck the Install Chrome [ ] box to the lower left for a clean install. Kind of neat in that it shows files and if they could be recovered or not. Green dotted/flagged ones could be recovered. Others only partial recovery possibly since incomplete from original form.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
          The "Cloud" icon is only present for registered users. If I click it it presents a login prompt, and I have no desire to create an account (sorry) so I don't know what lies beyond. It's possible pressing delete deleted something from there. In that case, there would be nothing to recover via Dave's method, as it would have been saved on their server (as suggested by the cloud icon)

If I may present an alternative suggestion; considering you will likely have to restart anyway.

What you are doing is using an online SNES Emulator; the game you are playing is an SNES game, not an online game; the features, saves, etc that surround it are features provided by their emulation.

As you've found, having it in your browser has caused you some trouble.

What I'm getting at is that there are alternatives for Emulation Software. For the Super Nintendo console, SNES9x is one of the more commonly used ones; Higan. Both of these allow you to emulate Super Nintendo cartridge games.

The problem is going to be finding the games. the ROM images of the cartridges that are used by emulators- including the online emulator- are copyright material, so providing a link or anything of that sort here would be, quite rightly, against forum rules, but they can be found with a bit of Google. (Though, this entire thread breaks forum rules already since playing SNES games on an online emulator is piracy, though I doubt you were aware of this)

At that point, you'd be dealing with a separate piece of software, rather than your browser. (And, the local emulator software tends to be much better).

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
            Hello Everyone, :) I truly appreciate all the help offered to me. Unfrtunately this effort to have techs tryand find the material didn't pan out. Even the 3rd level tech couldn't be of any help.

As for me, I am not one to download things onto my computer. So this tool, I'm sorry Dave, I won't be loading it. My only other recourse appears to be redoing the game.Ugh!

Also sort of a query. if I were to hit the DELETE KEY would I lose the item right then? If the answer is yes, then the delete key wasn't the culprit. Because when I hit the DK I thought I was hitting the ENTER KEY and afterwards i continued to play the game, so that wasn't it. Some thing happened when that History click replaced my game.

Okay everyone, it's been a pleasure. Thank you so much... I guess I may as well get started on the redo.

Til next crisis... wishing you all the best in 2017.