Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm at a loss with a network. 15 computers and 10 IP phone. One room with 2 comp  (Read 2193 times)

CreativeConcepts

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I'm at a loss with a network. 15 computers and 10 IP phone. One room with 2 computers and 2 IP phone is fed by one Cat5 cable with a switch going to all 4 devices. Here's the problem. Both computers have the internet going in and out. The network is fine. I can remote desktop into both with no problem. They can share files and print. Just no internet. All other systems on the network work fine with no problems.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Please review your post.
    I think what you mean is that two computer son the local network  lack Internet.
    Is that what you mean?
    When did this happen?
    What router do you have? Is it suitable for commercial use?
    Some home and small office units will not allow more that a dozen connections.

Also, does the  service provider put a quota  on the number of device son the Internet?

What operating system is used?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    What if you connect another computer to the switch where you are having the issue? What if you connect one of the computers that have the problem elsewhere in the building? What if you bypass the switch in the room and connect a computer directly to the incoming cable? On the machines that aren't working, is the gateway address set correctly (should be your router's IP) and can you ping this IP from the faulty machines?

It would also help if you described how the rest of the network is configured including what hardware (in particular models of switches, routers.etc) is being used.

CreativeConcepts

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      It's on a Cisco SG200-26P Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch from a CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T Modem (40Mbps down -  15Mbps up) - All computers are running Windows 7 Pro - Cisco SG200-08P 8-Port Gigabit POE Smart Switch splitting the 1 cat5 to the two phone and computers -  According to CenturyLink they do not care how many devices are on the system (It's a business account, not a home account)

Will be trying to connect another computer to the switch in the morning and see what that does.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      Given that both of these are smart switches, are you using any of the "smart" functionality?  I'd be inclined to go into each switch and check the configuration to ensure that there isn't any sort of strange setup with VLANS that could be causing this issue.  If you definitely aren't using any smart functionality and want them to just work as simple switches it may be worth resetting them both.