Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer says can't start because Msvcp140.dll is missing  (Read 14644 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer says can't start because Msvcp140.dll is missing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
Debby,
you need to give the forum more specific information about the computer.
What kind of computer is it?
What is the name of the company that made the computer?
Is there a model number somewhere on the back side?
Does the computer show what operating system it has installed?

Also, is thee some other detail we need to know?
Is the computer located in a restricted area why having a computer is not al lowered? Like  in a prison? On a submarine?

Really this is not meant to be a joke. Once in awhile we get some very, very strange requests about very strange things. The forum members w ill make some general assumptions unless you say otherwise.

About the DVD.
The DVD might not auto start. That feature depends on a number of things related to the current state of the computer as well as the kind of DVD you have.

If the computer does not have vital information you must have, and if you just want to get the computer working again, the short answer is to do the full installation of the operating system. As has been mentioned, the missing DLL is just a bit software not essential is to the basic function of the system.

Members of this forum are volunteers and there is no commercial interest here.  The intent is to help people with computer problems.    :)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
    I stated what all this computer is in my first posting.  It is a Dell Inspirion laptop running Windows 7.  It is an i-5 3210 cpu, 2.50 GHz, mem 8.00 GB, 64-bit operating system.  There is nothing great or special about it.  I bought it at Staples.  Right now it says I have 848 GB free out of 917GB, so you know there's not much on it.  It's got an express number and a service tag number, it says Dell I15R Laptop.  There are some Chinese numbers on it also, so I can't tell you what they say.  This may be a minor problem, however, this msvcp1140.dll will not let me do updates.  No, I am not in a restricted area or prison.  I'm a retired woman living with her semi-retired husband in the country in a rancher outside of Richmond, Virginia.  About seven years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, had the BIG surgery, am now cancer-free.  Problem with the BIG surgery, they re-plumb you inside and you are never the same again as far as your digestive tract.  So, needless to say, I am at home 99% of the time.  I have been on Computer Hope for many, many years, so I'm not a weird person and Computer Hope has helped me tremendously.  I do realize you are all volunteers and I commend you for sharing your knowledge in helping people like me.  I would have spent more on repairs than I have if it hadn't been for you guys.  The DVD says Dell Drivers and Utilities, Contents: Device drivers.  Utilities.  Oh, it says Use this disc only to reinstall the software already installed on your computer.  Computer Supported Dell Inspirion - 5520.  Dell Inspirion 15R, April 2012.  I just need a fix so I can get the 66 updates that need to be put on it.  I hope I've given you enough info.  I do tend to be a bit of a jokester at times, but I am basically serious about this or wouldn't have bothered Computer Hope.  I try to research it before I contact anybody, but do not trust certain things and websites unless I ask you guys first.  If I have forgotten to give you any info you need, ask me and I'll see what I can do to figure it out.  It definitely has no vital information on it but I don't know how to do a full installation! I hope that's an easy thing to do.  Thanks in advance!  Again, I'm really just a normal person, 66 years old, enjoying my animals and my computer (oh yeah, and my husband of 47 years).  I believe you have helped me before, and I know SuperDave, patio, and BC_Programmer have helped me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
    Thank you for coming back.
    I do apologize for being so harsh. I've tried reading over your post and I have a hard time grasping what is actually happening. For one thing, I don't understand how that file would stop you from using the computer. That file is not an essential part of the system and the should be some way you could just ignore it and go ahead and do the things you need to do.of course, the loss of that file could just be the precursor of something more serious. It could indicate there is some kind of a system failure and the computer just froze up the wrong error message. That happens. Computers are not really very smart. Whenever something goes wrong they just think of any excuse at hand than just throwing that you. It is very difficult for computer to ever admit it doesn't know the real problem. But think about it, a lot of people are like that too.

The missing file is part of a library.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
    The library is for a version of the Microsoft C++ runtime library.
    But to download the library you have to have internet working.
    Here is another place to download:
    https://fix4dll.com/msvcp100_dll
    Msvcp100.dll Information

Msvcp100.dll - dll file called "Microsoft® C Runtime Library" is a part of Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2010 program developed by Microsoft Corporation.
    Some applications or games may need this file to work properly. If msvcp100.dll is missing, whenever you start the application/game you may experience various kinds of errors. To fix those errors, please read the Recommended Solution below.
    He went on to say:
    Recommended Solution to Fix Dll Error
    To fix errors related with .DLL file you need to download msvcp100.dll and copy it to the installation folder of the application or game, or copy it into the Windows system folder and it should fix the error. If you don’t know how to install this file, please read our tutorial about How to install DLL files.
    Again, that is of no help if you can not download anything
    What can you do with the computer?
    Is this the image you see?

Is there any way to ignore it?
    Can you close it by using alt+F4 to force it  to stop?
    Here is another way to do a DLL file:
    http://lifehacker.com/269063/install-a-dll-file-in-windows
    Again, that is no help if you can not use the computer.
    . Also, please excuse me for rambling I am not adjusting to old age very well I'm only 78 and my short term memory is not working to good. I have to stay indoors quite a bit because I get real cold, go outside. Of course that's not a very good excuse.
    Now I forgot what I was going to say. Oh yeah, now I remember there are a few things I didn't get from going over the post.
    First of all, are you able to boot in safe mode?
    Second, do you have the installation DVD used to install Windows 7? Or did you ever make a recovery CD?
    Have you ever made a backup of your computer system? If so, a copy of the missing file would be somewhere in the backup image.
    Excuse a for asking again, these are some of things I didn't catch from looking over your posts.
    It's getting close to bedtime, so I might not be able to get back to this again tonight.  8)
    « Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:57:23 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
    Second time is the charm.
    MSVCP140.DLL is part of the Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable. That will reinstall it.

I don't see how it could prevent Windows Update, though, as the  file is not present/installed on the Win7 systems I've got at all. Are you certain this is the file that it claims is missing?

You could also reinstall the software that is giving the error.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
      Yes!  That looks like the pop-up I'm getting except for it says msvcp140.dll is missing.  Yes, I can open it in Safe Mode.  The missing file does not stop me from using the computer, but it won't let me install the 66 updates that are sitting there waiting to be installed.  I can use the computer just fine except that pop-up comes on every time I want to do something else (like open a program).  No, stupidly I did not make a recovery disk but I do have the disk that came with the computer.  It says it's Drivers and Utilities.  No, I have never done a backup on the computer because I don't have anything on it except some emails and a picture or two.  We ended up not using the laptop as much as we thought we would.  However, I have a sneaky suspicion that there might be more wrong with the computer than just this pop-up and so my husband and I are talking about going ahead and taking it into the computer repair place we've been using.  They are very reasonable in prices and go overboard to help.

I want to know how a 78 year old person gets to know computers as well as you do!  Here I am at 66, been using a computer since 2000, and still "don't get it".  Although my father has been using one since 2000, I still have to tell him how to fix some things.  Luckily for him, his next door neighbor taught computer classes at the local high school and helps him with a lot of stuff I don't know.  And no, I do not think you were being too harsh, I can only imagine what people might ask.  You're having short term memory now, then I must be "aging" sooner as I have the same thing going on with me.  I just tell my husband the chemo has affected my brain!  LOL!!!  Like they say, getting old is not for wimps!

I truly do thank you all for your help in trying to get my machine working again.  I will see what I can do with the latest I've been told by you and BC_Programmer.  I'll let you know a bit later.  Not feeling good today so I'm going to nap for a while and tackle it later.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
      More dictation. (Even with only four teeth I talk better that type.)  ;D
      I started studying computers around 1976 more or less. The first operating system I use was not really an operating system at all. It wasn't very early version of Microsoft BASIC that could only read and write files from a cassette tape interface. Yes, there was such a thing back in 1976.
      For a few years in the late 70s I did some commercial programming and a company called Dysan in Silicon Valley.(Not to be confused with Dyson, a different company.)
      Anyway, back to the question at hand. Let's suppose that this error message is not really the whole story and do something else wrong with the computer. Given that you say this nothing important on the computer, doing a complete install of the operating system would be the most logical and reasonable recourse. The installation went also reveal if there are some serious problems with the hard drive or other components of the computer. If the operating system can be reinstalled successfully, that error message will not come up again. SBC said above, that program is not part of the operating system. It was inserted by a third-party application and for some reason that program is flashing the error message. But as I mentioned also, computers don't always give you the correct error message when something goes wrong.
      Anyway, if you feel up to it here are your tasks.
      First item is to find the product key for Windows 7 that is on your computer. Somewhere through the control panel or some other thing that should be a way to find the product key that corresponds to this computer. Also, you could look underneath the computer on the backside and see if there is a product key for Windows 7. You want to write down that information where you can find it when you need it.
      Second task is to learn how to download an ISO file. In this context the term ISO refers to an image that is to be written to a DVD disc. You may need to use another computer to do that. It can take maybe a couple of hours to download the ISO file with a good Internet connection. The ISO file is found somewhere on the Windows site. Microsoft now allows people to download these image files for the operating system even without proof of having the product key. The program will ask for the product key later on during installation.
      Now here's the third item. This task is to prepare a DVD disc using the ISO file. You will find a program that has the capability of making a copy of the ISO onto a blank DVD and also it will verify our guarantee that the DVD can be booted by the system. That can be the hard part. Just making a copy of the ISO is not enough. It actually is a forensic perfectly copied to the DVD in order to make it usable. It's not really that hard, but you just have to use the right tool. This is well documented elsewhere.
      Now the fourth task is to get your sick computer ready to boot the DVD. That sick computer has an area called the B IOS, which is the firm are used to start the computer when you first turn it on. I am sure you must already know this, but I'm being redundant here because a lot of other people read this information and they will become disturbed or something is missing. Inside the firmware, also called B IOS, there is an area to specify which device will be booted first. You may choose to have the DVD boot first. Or there may be another option where you can manually select which device has to be booted. I can't give you that information off of the top of my head because there are so many different variations even on computers made by the same company. Now if it was one of my computers, I would have to press the F 12 key while the computer starting up and then it will proceed to be back me and tell me that it will do the boot menu after he gets new testing memory. And then when it gets new testing memory it will flash up a little set of choices then there'll be a choice for booting from the DVD or from the hard drive or from something else. At that point I choose the DVD and it starts to boot up and then I get a warning message saying that I have to hit another key if I really want the DVD to boot up. Dr. just get annoyed when the computer ask you for review and do something? If I didn't want to do it I would not press the key in the first place.
      Okay, now is gone through for tasks and by now the DVD should be booting up and doing something and maybe providing some messages. At this point you're going to make a decision about what to do and it will probably destroy all the information on the computer. If you don't mind, you can just go ahead and do that. But you may find there's an option were the Windows 7 installation program will attempt to try to reinstall Windows on your system without destroying any of your personal data. You can try that if you like. If that doesn't work you could just go back and start the DVD over again from the boot up and make a different selection about how to install.
      Actually, you might enjoy doing this. You might get to be next. On this and then show on your friends what you learn to do with your computer.
      Now then, which links do you need? Someone you could probably figure out yourself.
      Let's start with some place we can find the Windows 7 ISO file that would be appropriate for your computer. You need to know ahead of time if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you don't know or if it doesn't say, it's most likely the 32-bit version. Also, eating you know if it's the home version Horovitz the Pro version. I would guess it's the home version. What makes a difference is the product key. The product key is key for user the home or Pro version, but not both. Unless I'm wrong, which happens.
      Download ISO for Windows 7 installer.
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
      let me know if you are able to locate the product key and download the ISO file.
      For Windows 7 the product key is still needed. If you had used Windows 10 it might not be needed. But you already said it's Windows seven, so let's just stick with Windows 7 and get the machine back to where it was.
      Talk to you later.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 09:34:21 AM »
        So I clicked onto the links you gave me and the computer will not download anything, that pop-up keeps coming up telling me to install that msvcp140.dll.  I think more is going on than just that missing thing, so I am going to take it to my computer repair people and have them take a look at it.  I do not trust myself not to screw something else up while trying to fix this.  So now, you don't have to use your short term memory to try to help me, you can forget all this!  However, I hope I'm like you if I make it to 78.  My cancer, if it should come back, usually happens in the first two years, but they give you seven years to be on the safe side.  If it does not return, it will not come back in another place except the liver.  They said now they feel my chances of getting again are zero to nil.  I do still have one more year to go before my seven years is up.  So I feel "fixed" even though the Whipple surgery I had changes you forever.  While you were studying computers back in 1976, I didn't even give them a thought.  We were unable to have children so we spent a lot of time with friends and riding our motorcycles.  Then my husband went without one for about 30 years but bought another one about three years ago.  I do not ride with him anymore, but it's his big escape from taking care of our little three acres.  He loves that Suzuki and rides whenever he can.  Funny you should mention your four teeth...I just broke a tooth, had another that had a big bad cavity, so they pulled that too, and now I am getting two implants in April.  Always something to look forward to...certainly not.  Nor do I like the prices they charge to do it. 

Back to you.  You worked in Silicon Valley, that is a big WOW!  So does that mean you are in sunny California?  I woke up today and thought about you as it is cold and very windy here.  Back then, what was so special about Silicon Valley that attracted all this computer rave? 

Okay, I asked a bunch of questions, sorry, but I like people and their stories.  Anyway, I will take the computer to my people and now I feel a big weight has been lifted off me.  I do thank all of you so very much and I'm sorry I made you think I was weird.  (Well, some of my friends say I am!  lol)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
        Hopefully the repair people will fix you up, remotely figuring stuff out can be rather tricky for this sort of thing, and not by any fault of those seeking help, I might add, just the nature of some issues. If you can't download stuff because of the issue then that rather complicates matters, for example.

Anyway, regarding the computers thing, while they arguably only became commonplace in the last few decades, they definitely existed before that for some time and there were people working with and on them, either professionally on say larger business mainframe systems, or even as a hobby. That might partly answer your question about why Silicon Valley became such- as it happens, one of the biggest groups for hobbyist computing was the Homebrew Computer Club in Palo Alto, which is where Apple got it's "bootstrap", and the Apple I in many ways fired up the microcomputer industry, so The area became known as Silicon Valley and has remained something of a hotbed ever since.

Also, You hear a lot of stories where computer wizards talk about first learning to program computers when they were 6 or 7 or whatever. That gives the false impression that if you don't start early, you can never learn. That's just not the case.  I've heard of folks of erm... rather advanced age learning to use, then program, and even write software for computers for the first time, for example. I'm 29 and I get weird looks since I never really used a computer much until I was 16 and even then I got one that was as old as I was.

On the Dental stuff, that's relevant to me as well, I got mine fixed up in 2015, I didn't even know it was possible to fix them, and had just ignored it and tried not to think about it. it was possible, but it certainly wasn't cheap. $2,000+ to get my Wisdom teeth removed and then at least twice that over the next year fixing up the rest of them but it was totally worth it.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
          WOW!  Getting help and a history lesson here!  Love you guys!!!!