Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: looking for the perfect O/S for my machine  (Read 2281 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
looking for the perfect O/S for my machine
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
does anybody know of a good o/s to use for one of my machines? this one has a single core Atom without hyper-threading and 2 gb of ram non-upgradable..... I've tried windows xp and it blue screens before install, windows 8 and 10 work but are so slow it freezes almost 100% of the time and ubuntu just shuts the machine off before it can load the "live cd".....  i've also tried Android x86 and Remix OS and it does the same thing as ubuntu... I may try Windows Vista and see how it goes but I would like to save that as my last resort.... would like to note that this computer has a tablet form factor and doesn't have a physical keyboard of any kind or any mouse other than the touch screen.... this computer also only has 1 USB 2.0 port and I don't have any powered hubs but I do have a non-powered hub though

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: looking for the perfect O/S for my machine
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:00 AM »
Can you provide a model number of the thing?
It has a touch screen? I don't think Windows XP could do a touch screen.
Here is a article that lists Linux versions that might work. (I have no way to test.)
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/install-linux-on-your-x86-tablet-five-distros-to-choose-from-1162825
These days, one of the few growth markets for PC devices is the Windows-powered tablet. While they're superficially designed as touch-friendly tablets, they can be converted into 2-in-1 devices with the addition of a plugin keyboard, which allows you to effectively use the tablet as a touch-friendly laptop instead.
Most modern hybrids are powered by Intel's Bay Trail Atom chips – they use the x86 chipset, but are seriously underpowered compared to the high-powered Intel Core i7, i5 and even i3 chips. Nevertheless, they're perfectly serviceable for low-end Windows work, and come with Windows 10 preinstalled.
But where are the Linux-powered tablets? We think there's a massive gap in the market, and while we wait for it to be filled we thought to ourselves: why not get hold of a Bay Trail tablet and install Linux on it? After all, if it's x86-based then we can install pretty much anything on it, right?
He names:
 Ubuntu 14.04.3
 Debian 8.3 (Jessie)
 Fedora
And some I never hear about before.
Maybe this could help.   :)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »
yes the touch screen is the only form of input... no model number on this device that I can find just a dell windows tablet maybe from 2007-09? gonna try an older ubuntu edition see if that works

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:39:54 AM »
update: it gets to the ubuntu logo with the white and orange dots and scrolls for a few seconds and than it shuts off like it did before with 16.04

windows xp, vista and 7 blue screen and say the bios is not fully ACPI complient if there is a bios update it will be done before moving on... found some good info in the bios

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
updated the bios via service tag so it is a dell tablet.... so I guess windows 8 and 10 are the only OS this thing will accept even though they are way newer than the machine.... I don't have a restore disk... that might work if I had one.... i'm ready to throw this thing out the window... windows 8 and 10 work and installs just fine but they peg the cpu at 100% usage, 100% of the time so it's always lagging to the max on max performance.... it has a 1.5 Ghz Atom single core without hyperthreading and without turbo boost btw....  I can't install the os that came with it from the factory since I need the restore disk I don't have... the retail copy of vista just blue screens after loading... can't install windows 7 as it also after loading setup, blue screens can't downgrade to xp it blue screens after loading setup this thing is just screwed

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »
What OS came on it?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »
Likely was Windows RT which means that would be his only Windows choice...other than any Linux distro...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
What OS came on it?

I think vista or 7 came on it

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:02:06 PM »
Likely was Windows RT which means that would be his only Windows choice...other than any Linux distro...

no I have installed full windows 10 on it.... I don't think you can install the full desktop windows 10 on a windows rt device...... but it's not usable as it is.... I wanted to install Android x86 on it originally but it won't let me

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
You might want to give this OS a try then: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/

PIXEL is a lightweight Debian-based Linux distro that was developed for the Raspberry Pi and they recently ported it over to the PC platform.