Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Services  (Read 3349 times)

foxygrandma

Services
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
I have Windows 10, 64 bit and when I go to Services to see if anything is disabled, I do find a few and change them to Automatic start.  Whenever I go back to Services the next day or another, the same ones are stopped and I have to again put them on Automatic start.   Why is this?  Thanks.  Anna Ruth

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Services
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:15:43 AM »
What specific services are you talking about? And is there a reason you are changing the settings? You're not try to set ALL services to start automatically, are you?

foxygrandma

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
What specific services are you talking about? And is there a reason you are changing the settings? You're not try to set ALL services to start automatically, are you?
[/quote
I] get to Services by going to Start and key in Services.  I go there sometimes when my laptop does not seem to be running right. Yes, I set all services to automatic.   I should not?  Whoops!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
Ahh, you're in the most dangerous part of computer knowledge, knowing just enough to cause problems :P You know services have something to do with the workings of your system, but not enough to know exactly how.

Here's a cheat sheet when it comes to services:  If you don't know what it is or haven't been told specifically to change it, then leave it alone :)

In fact, while setting services to Automatic that should be manual can cause issues. it certainly won't resolve any!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

foxygrandma

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
Thank you, but even when manual it shows that it is stopped.  That is why I have done it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
That doesn't answer which services your tinkering with...and why...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »
She's trying to switch ALL services to auto-start.

foxygrandma

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
Sorry to be so long in answering but my laptop was out for a long time.  Do not go to Services any more  It was very helpful.  When I went there and saw many disabled and put them on automatic My laptop ran better. Anna Ruth