Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: error 39 driver issue  (Read 6773 times)

ydono

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    error 39 driver issue
    « on: March 02, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
    I have a dell OptiPlex 360.  The hard drive died so I installed a new one and installed windows 10 on it.  It has been working good for about a week but now it won't recognize any dvds/cds I put in.  The drive shows up in the drive manager with a yellow exclamation point next to it.  I uninstalled and restarted the computer.  I also checked for updates but it says it has the latest driver.  Not sure where to go from here....  suggestions?  I can't reinstall the driver from the original discs since the computer won't recognize any discs. 

Appreciate it!

It is a Optiarc DVD&RW AD7230SATA Device

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: error 39 driver issue
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
    Optical drives haven't needed drivers since WinME...
    If you right clik it in Disk Management and select properties what all does it say ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ydono

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
      Here is what helped:
      Note: To perform this, you need to be logged on to Windows as an administrator. Please follow the steps below carefully, as serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. It is recommended to back up the registry so you can restore them to previous status if necessary.

1. Press Win+R (Windows key and R key). A Run dialog will appear. Type Regedit and click OK.
      2. Expand My Computer in Registry Editor, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
      3. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
      4. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
      5. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
      6. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, delete UpperFilters.

This should fix the problem if the filters were indeed the reason, which is often the case. If you do not see UpperFilters, delete LowerFilters. If you do not see LowerFilters, the drive may be crashed. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
      You should include proper info on backing up the registry when advising editing it...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »
      That's not a USB device , its Sata

;D

I'll gamble the cd/dvd unit is broken. 

error 39 is driver related so...
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.