Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Names too long - following an attempted backup  (Read 3645 times)

linx4

Topic Starter

Rookie

File Names too long - following an attempted backup
    « on: March 15, 2017, 03:28:49 AM »
    Hi, I recently had computer issues and I decided to copy my music files on to an external hard drive. I now wish to access the files, but when I try I get a message that the file name is too long and the  file(s) will not open. A more worrying aspect of this issue is that some files appear to be empty. If anyone out there has a solution to this issue I would be very grateful your for assistance. 

Thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: File Names too long - following an attempted backup
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
    linx4,
    Please provide information about what operating system you are using.
    Also, what backup program?

linx4

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: File Names too long - following an attempted backup
      « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:32:56 AM »
      Hi,
      I am using Windows 10. Foolishly I didn't use a backup program, just copy and paste from the computer hard drive to a blank dvd disc. Then the data was copied and pasted again to the new computer HD. Other files went over OK, but the music files did not and I am now unable to open them because the file name is too long. I believe that this error has been caused by the system  repeatedly accessing the files and adding to the file names. However, although I believe that to be the cause of the problem, how to cure it is unknown to me.

Regards