Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Alt key doesn't work.  (Read 39519 times)

MistressJaedda

My Alt key doesn't work.
« on: February 14, 2006, 12:01:23 AM »
My Alt button doesn't seem to be working anytime I try to use ctrl+alt+del . I can't tab through my open programs by using alt+tab anymore either. It's been happening for about 2 months now, and I can't figure out for the life of my why it's not working. I'm running 98 SE. I just did a sweep w/ Spybot S&D, and cleaned up all the spyware. However, after resetting I'm still not able to use it. I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be working. I've plugged my keyboard into another computer to check, and the alt buttons work fine. Can anybody suggest anything for me?  :-? Thanks!

T-Chai

Re: My Alt key doesn't work.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:44:06 AM »
in Control Panel there are keyboard setting left click it
it will come up with keyboard properties go to hardware and select your keyboard model and click properties again and go to driver you cant update it till you have dowdload a new update from the specific web site

Ok you have your key board name right on your screen (keyboard propertise) get the name and find out if you can update your keyboard

when you download it go back to keyboard properties and update driver and (install Advance) form where you have specificly download your file to click on it and just find you way around there  (is easy)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:55:40 AM »
Is there any chance you can try this keyboard on a different PC?  Or a different keyboard on this PC?  Could simply be a broken Alt key...  e.g. crud stuck in the membrane or worn contacts.  Basic keyboards are pretty cheap these days.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

T-Chai

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:27:14 AM »
keyboard into another computer to check, and the alt buttons work fine. Can anybody suggest anything for me?   Thanks!
[/b]

So the keyboard is fine

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:39:27 AM »
Are you replying to yourself, T-Chai?

T-Chai

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 06:31:32 AM »
Sorry

MistressJaedda

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
....keyboard properties go to hardware and select your keyboard model and click properties again and go to driver you cant update it till you have dowdload a new update from the specific web site

That entire part isn't on my computer at all. When I go to keyboard and "properties" the only option is changing the layout of the keyboard from English US to other stuff. There is no option to change the keyboard model and type.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »
So respond to my post above.  :)

MistressJaedda

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:12 AM »
So respond to my post above.  :)

Quote from: MistressJaedda
I've plugged my keyboard into another computer to check, and the alt buttons work fine.

I just plugged it into another computer a couple days ago, and it works fine. Also, I know keyboards are cheap, but I can't afford one atm.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
Sorry - I should have read your opening post more carefully. :blush:

It's clearly not a keyboard problem.  Something has remapped or disabled the code that your keyboard sends for the Alt key.  It's not a problem I've heard with on Windows, but there are a couple of things I can think of trying.  First is T-Chai's idea.  You need to go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Device manager.  Find the keyboard in the device listings, and click "properties".  You should see an option to reinstall the driver.  Try it.  (You'll need to insert your Win98SE CD.)

The other option is Start-->Programs-->System tools-->System information.  Tools-->System file checker.  See if that recommends restoring any changed system files.

If those two don't work, and no one else has ideas, you may be looking at a Win98SE reinstall.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
    Are you replying to yourself, T-Chai?
    lol    :D
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!